For Rent in Tampa>Question Details

Raymond, Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

Renting home by Macdill AFB

Asked by Raymond, Tampa, FL Wed May 27, 2009

I am stationed at Macdill. A friend of mine might be buying another home soon. She doesn’t think she wants to sell her current home now is planning to rent it out for a few years. The home is a ranch style and has about 1700 SF (3/2). It has a new master suite and huge yard. It is located less than 3 minutes from Macdill AFB.

- She wants to be able to cover most of her mortgage. What can she expect to get per month in rent?
- Should she use a rental agent or just rent it out herself? If so, what fees are involved? She is pretty handy if it makes a differences.
-Should she think about trying to sell instead?
- Are there any ways to market to people on base?

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Tampa

Answers

4
Raymond,
I own or manage a few rentals by the base and have done very well with them. Since I am also Military I go to the housing office and place my rental listings. As a Real Estate Broker in the Tampa Bay Area, I handle several rentals in that area and frankly love them because I love dealing with the rigid military mindset that understands my similar mindset. Get the job done and move on folks flock together and that makes it better. As for the property, any competent Realtor will have to see it before offering a good rental value, but Kathy gave you a great answer. The average in 33616 is currently 1.07 per square foot.

Many folks prefer to rent themselves and that is fine. The only real issue is to make certain that you perform good background checks on ALL applicants. The larger the pool of applicants the better tenant you (She) will eventually end up with, so she will want to get maximum exposure on that property.

I would have to disagree with the statement that thee is no money in rentals. I have an agent in my office that does pretty well in the rental market, but then that is her specialty and she really loves it. I guess it's a knack.

Anyway, I hope that you found some of the answers that you were looking for and if there is anything that I can do, feel free to buzz my phone or send me a message via trons. (I'm in the Global, but my retirement packet is in and I don't check that email)

Respectfully,

Gary De Pury
Broker-Owner
Bay Vista Realty & Investments, Inc.
813-917-4279
Gary@DePury.com
Oh, By the way, I am never too busy for your referrals.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
Raymond,
In that area a home will typically rent for .75 - $1.00 per square foot depending on amenities and condition. Our office handles property manangement for rentals, including a number in that area. Please feel free to contact me for more information. Good luck!
Kathy Delhaes
Web Reference: http://www.c21fisher.com
Do you know what she can expect to get per month in rent? It's in the 33616 zip.
Raymond,

I would recommend that she offer the rental thru a competent realtor. Most realtors do not take rentals because there is no money in them. A realtor that builds relationships will take it. Having a realtor allows it to be put on the MLS so that you get qualified people in to see it, not just anybody that drives by or answers an add. The realtor can check on what has rented in the area so that you are not over or under priced. The realtor can also help you with the sales market and let you know what the market is for your friends type of home. You may not want to sell if you have very little equity in it since homes are down to 2003 prices as of the paper today.

Let us know if we can help.

Bill Szydlowski
The Szydlowski Team
Future Home Realty
813-323-4443
Web Reference: http://www.tampamyhome.com