For Rent in Chandler>Question Details

Kim Bouck, Home Buyer in Chandler, AZ

Possible rental scam in Chandler

Asked by Kim Bouck, Chandler, AZ Mon May 14, 2012

can someone tell me if this is a legit listing? I received kind of a strange email from the owner/agent. The rent is cheap for a 4 bedroom. This is not far from me. How can I verify this is legit?

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3083749111-2882-E-Runaway-Bay-P…

Answers

5
Andrew Wilkinson’s answer
Hi there Kim,

I have flagged this issue to our Priority Customer Service team, and we will start looking into the validity of this posting immediately. I'll follow up shortly with what we find.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Andrew
Community Manager, Trulia Voices
First check AZ Dept of REAL ESTATE. Is the agent active. Then call the DB.
Remember, Location and condition are everything.
Yes. This is a scam. I am the Realtor who has this property listed for SALE, NOT RENT. You will receive an email from the "owner" stating they are looking for a God fearing family to rent the property for 4 years while they are in Indiana. They want you to wire $800 to them, and provide your social security and drivers license numbers so they can run your credit. An unfortunate number of people have fallen for the scam, and the true owner has had to file policy reports because people show up in her back yard, stare through her windows, and actually get irritated and rude with her because the scammer is using her name, and they think she has cheated them out of their money and credit information. Thank you for recognizing that this is not a legitimate listing. Trulia did not pick up the entire Public Remarks entry off the MLS listing where it specifically states that the property is only for sale not for rent. I included that language specifically to alert anyone viewing the listing that there was a problem. Trulia apparently thought my consumer protection efforts were not worth their time.
It is most probably a scam. The rent is way too low for that property, especially on that area. I would suggest working with an agent to make sure you don't fall on any of the scams that appear on many websites.
I would be a little concerned if they are saying that this is an available rental because it appears to be going through a short sale right now and appears to have an accepted offer. I don't know for sure if it is a scam but I do not see it as an active rental on the MLS, only as a short sale with an accepted offer.