For Rent in 99513>Question Details

Lilsista_dee…, Renter in Tacoma, WA

Out of town owners??

Asked by Lilsista_dee86, Tacoma, WA Tue Sep 11, 2012

We are moving to Alaska soon and have been looking on this site for a home to rent. It seems like every house that I inquire about, I get people that are telling me that they are now living out of town. How do I know if this is a scam?

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 99513

Answers

6
Lilsista_dee86’s answer
I'm just curious because this person is saying he will be living somewhere else for 4+ years. We are military so buying isn't an option yet, but I'm nervous that the house will be sold or something before we have to leave Alaska.
I received a similar message like that a year ago when I was looking for a rental. My "owner and his wife" had moved to California for a job transfer. He encouraged me to go by the place and look at it (no inside access however). I checked the local public records for the owner's name of the property; and although the "email appeared to have come from the owner" I was still skeptical especially when he wanted me to send him $100 in order to have the keys and lease FedExed to me. Of course I refused and that's when a red flag went up for me. Addtionally, I checked back on Craigslist a week later and found the same rental unit listed again, but at a much higher price than what I was quoted by the "owner."
Flag Thu Apr 3, 2014
Work with a Realtor to be in the safe side
Its an Scam ! a lot of Scamer said that they are in London in vacation ETC ..... you will know that its an scame if they tell you wire money via western union ETC
Your best course of action would be to contact someone here in Anchorage that can help you. If you are Military, we have a housing office available and Realtors who volunteer there to answer questions, give guidance and direction for newcomers. My husband is in the 84th, ESC ABN, I know all too well how challenging it can be to transition into a new area, I'm happy to assist. Lets chat about what your basics wants and needs are and your arrival date to start, I can keep you posted of properties as they become available.

Stacy Hague
907-240-2327
shagueak@gmail.com
The following is a link that you can go to: http://www.muni.org/pw/public.html You can put in the address and it will tell you who the owner is and pertinant information. At least you can know if you are talking to the real owner or not. These scams happen all over the country, though I haven't heard of it happening here in Anchorage, Alaska. A lot of Realtors in Anchorage don't do rental's, but there are certain Realtors that do only that. If you need further help you can contact me and I will get you in touch with one of them. Good Luck.
I checked the public records for the owner; and although the "email appeared to have come from the owner" I was still skeptical because he wanted me to send him $100 in order to have the keys and lease FedExed to me. Of course I refused and that's when a red flag went up for me. Addtionally, I checked back on Craigslist a week later and found the same rental unit listed again, but at a much higher price than what I was quoted by the "owner."
Flag Thu Apr 3, 2014
Some ways to find out about scams is to research the owner. There are public websites where you can verify who owns a property. A red flag is when the so-called Landlord wants money up front before you view the home in person. If they are truly the owner and live out of town, they would have someone handling showing the home.
Enlist the help of a local Realtor who can send you legitimate listings.
If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is! Good luck.