For Rent in San Jose>Question Details

Sara West, Home Buyer in Phil L Hudson Airport,...

My husband and I are in our early 60ties and we are looking to move to the bay area, looking for great weather, not too hot but not foggy.

Asked by Sara West, Phil L Hudson Airport, Mesquite, TX Sat Feb 8, 2014

Answers

11
Make sure you take a good look at the Fremont Tri-City area as well - it's closer to the bay and therefore more temperate than most of Santa Clara County. Additionally, prices are usually a bit lower for comparable homes. Additionally, it has BART for quick and easy trips to San Francisco and other destinations, is almost exactly equidistant between all three major bay area airports, has great access to San Francisco, Oakland, Walnut Creek, Livermore with it's vineyards, Pleasanton ... and is less than an hour from Napa & Sonoma Counties. It's a great place to live!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 9, 2014
Sara West:

To check on the weather, demographics etc of any potential rental that is currently listed with realtors, go to http://www.handsonrealtor.com. Choose any city, and property type as rental (for rentals, do not bother entering a price range). Then, when the list populates, click on an address of a home that interests you. Then click on the "Community" tab. Then click on the "weather tab". You can also learn about the area around the home by clicking on the other tabs.

Since you are over 55 years old, you would probably have less overall cost of housing if you buy a mobile home in one of our mobile home parks that cater to seniors. To explore that option, put mobile home in the property type tab and repeat the above. From the site, you will not be able to tell if it is a senior park. For that, you'll need to call me at 408-639-0211 or email me at mitchell@handsonrealtor.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mitchell Pearce
mitchell@handonsrealtor.com
4080-639-0211
You already got a lot of good info about the Bay Area, the home prices in TX. and Ca. are quite different so the question I would like to ask you is what price range are you looking at and what is sq. ft. of home would you like to live in have you and your husband been to the Bay Area if not you might want to fly in for a few days and I can drive both around if you would like to talk about it more please call me at 408-221-9036 or Email me at terryfrey@sbcglobal.net with your phone number and I call you back.

Terry Frey
Fireside Realty
BRE #01120146
Most retirees are moving away from the Bay area to go to cheaper places.
Have been working with a couple for months to narrow down housing with 1 million dollar cap.

I suggest you look at over 55+ hoas where age restriction makes the housing more affordable.
You may be able to find some from high 300 to 500K in Santa Clara County.

If you want be away from the major traffic, I am familiar with several developments which tailor toward
you.

Sam Shueh
Keller Williams Cupertino Realty
As you have read, we love our weather in Santa Clara County. Your budget and commute will direct you to certain neighborhoods.

As a rule of thumb the further south you go the lower the prices and you may get hotter summers. The flat lands will get tully fog but not that much. The Los Gatos Mountains has a nice mix of seasons and it can be a challenge to commute Highway 17, as it gets backed up in the summer and winter accidents can make travel unpleasant. There are pockets where we get less rain and other areas with more wind, but over all most of our weather is very pleasant.

The bigger concern for most that move to our area are school scores an commuter traffic. Other than that I think you will fall in love with our weather.
Mos of the Bay Area will fit the bill. I would recommend finding a rent somewhere like in Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Campbell, Milpitas or Mountain View, move over and then get familiar with the area. The communities have different amenities and character, you will have to decide what is more attractive to you. The cost of living also varies a lot from city to city.
Web Reference: http://talisrealestate.com
Hi Sara,

Whenever you have time, you can check out current listings on the market for cities in Santa Clara County. Get to know current prices are the next to do.
You can do your research by visiting my website http://lamsondang.com, use "Find A Home" feature, which is connected to Pro-MLS that I paid for all my clients.
Good luck and best wishes,

Lamson Dang
Web Reference: http://lamsondang.com
Sara,

Santa Clara county fits the bill very well. It is one of the more affordable areas and the weather is moderate. It is less than an hour to San Francisco and Oakland, and the beaches of santa Cruz are half an hour away.

It would be helpful to know your price range. We can assist by competing a loan pre approval, thus getting your price range to be clear.

Eric Nelson, III
Sr. Mortgage planner
Svc funding
408-268-2442
Nmls # 120412
The Bay Area has 100's of micro-climates. It's really quit amazing! So your question is a great one.

I moved here in 97 from Connecticut and at the time ALL the weather ANYwhere within commute distance of my office with Acer America in San Jose seemed PERFECT!!! However, over the years I became a little more picky and a lot more aware of the nuances of the many micro-climates.

There are a few "best kept secrets" for incredible weather in this area. As you have noted it seems you either have moderate not too hot weather but along with that fog..... or you have less issues with fog BUT temperatures in the 90 to low 100's in the summer/fall.

While I came to CA to work in HQ for Acer in 2001 I became Broker-Owner of a mortgage company and shortly after that a Real Estate company. In the 12yrs since then I have helped many like yourself relocate to the Bay Area. And we always start with trying to identify the right area first, then we focus in on homes in that area. I've helped my clients buy or sell homes from Half Moon Bay to Livermore and from their to Santa Cruz or Prunedale. Yes, there really is a town called "Prunedale"!!!

I can think of 3 areas that I've discovered through years of introducing clients to this region that if I like you were looking to move into the Bay Area in my 60's and therefore cared a little less about commute and more about comfortable and sunny weather that I would want to consider. These areas are not foggy and yet ALSO are 20-30 degrees cooler in the summer than communities just 5 to 10 minutes away.

There is so much to discuss. Check out my references. I want you to be confident that you will be in good hands... the best..
http://www.trulia.com/profile/stucarson/

Then call or email me!

Stu
408-209-0849
Stu@StuCarson.com
Well, Sara, the Bay Area is a beautiful place to live. I have lived in San Jose almost my whole life! The best way to describe our climate is that it is a Mediterranean climate. Average rainfall is 12 inches/year. Fog is rare. Because we are a valley, we get nice breezes, rarely strong, gusty winds.
30 minutes to the beach, 60 minutes to SF or Monterey. And, as the capital of Silicon Valley, we have strong real estate values, due in part to the strong economic base.
It helps working with an area expert! Knowing San Jose and the surrounding towns like I do, I can help maximize your real estate experience.
Feel free to call & chat if you want to discuss. I sometimes feel like the San Jose concierge!

Linda Baker, Alain Pinel Realtors
408.712.3432
LBaker@apr.com
Most of the south bay will have the weather you are looking for. The Santa Cruz Mountains push the incoming winds upward reducing the fog but we still get the mild temperatures. During the summer (August) there are often three weeks or so where the winds come from inland creating higher temperatures. If you get further inland the temperatures can be significantly higher. People who have moved here from Texas are often shocked by the prices of houses. San Jose home values at http://julianalee.com/san-jose/san-jose-statistics.htm ...
Juliana Lee
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty, the nations largest
Cell 650.857.1000
juliana@silicon-valley-homes-for-sale.com

Over 20 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold in Santa Clara County and San Mateo County
.
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com