For Rent in Los Angeles>Question Details

Savion Wright, Renter in Waco, TX

Moving to the LA area (Want to be near USC campus/downtown/Hollywood)

Asked by Savion Wright, Waco, TX Sat Jan 4, 2014

Hello, I'm graduating with my bachelors from Baylor Unuversity (Waco, Tx) in the Fall of 2014 and I'm planning on moving to LA as soon as I finish. Also, 3 other guys whom are some of my closest friends want to move as well. We would all still be going to college, and want to be near USC campus. We're also young so we want to be near downtown and Hollywood where we can go and have fun, and also play lots of music. (We are all musicians/singers as well.) any advice/websites/contacts on planning or getting ready for this? I would love to talk to someone on the full process.

Answers

4
Savion, Randy is right in saying that you will need to take a trip out before moving to see things for yourself. You could live Downtown which is so much better than it's ever been but you might like living in Hollywood better. I believe the rental prices are comparable between the best areas of these neighborhoods - it's your choice of final budget and cost is typically dictated by the desirability of location. We also have a real, safe subway in L.A., the Red Line. It goes directly from Hollywood to Downtown - it takes something like 16 minutes. As Hollywood is becoming more and more populated with young professionals, creatives, music-types and clubs to play in ( I'm a musician so I know the spots) - I would suggest that. Obviously the final choice is yours. In conclusion, when you're getting ready to start the relocation process, make sure your credit is good and have rental references if you can. This will help you and your friends be better positioned to be successful when the time comes. Feel free to contact me when you are ready!

Risa Liebster, Realtor®
Ramsey-Shilling Associates
818.397.9188
RSLiebster@gmail.com
http://www.TheHillsandValley.com
http://www.TolucaLakeRealEstate.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 4, 2014
Thanks Risa
Flag Sat Jan 4, 2014
I've sold many properties over the years near USC. 310-702-6145
Hi Savion, check out the Silver Lake and Echo Park areas, which are between downtown and Hollywood and also close to USC. Here's some info on live music venues, some which cater to up and coming bands:
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=live+music+venues&f…
I recommend downtown LA which has numerous very nice new apartment buildings all over downtown. You would be about a mile and a half to two miles north of the USC campus and about 5 to 6 miles from Hollywood. Downtown does not have as many clubs as Hollywood but still has many new clubs and is much more culturally diverse. Also much less traffic and better parking availability. You could google "downtown Los Angeles" to learn more. However at this point there isn't much to do or even be concerned about. You want to wait until you get here. Look around explore there areas. Look at various apartment buildings, and make the decision where to live after you get here and have familiarized yourself with the area.
Thank you
Flag Sat Jan 4, 2014