For Rent in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Tim G, Renter in Pittsburgh, PA

Moving to Pittsburgh, PA in July and looking for 3br rental home for $1100 - $1500

Asked by Tim G, Pittsburgh, PA Sun Jun 17, 2012

My family and I will be moving to Pittsburgh, PA next month from Houston, TX with my job relocation and I was wondering where are some good places to start looking for a 3 bedroom rental home in the $1100 to $1500 range? It will be myself, my wife, my son plus 2 little Pekingese.

Margaret M. Felkay’s answer
Hi Tim,
Welcome to Pittsburgh! I am also a Pittsburgh transplant and have fallen in love with the city and surrounding communities. There are many wonderful and affordable neighborhoods to live. As Brian stated before much depends on where you are working and what type of commute you are open to having. Will your wife be looking for work? Are you looking for a newer development or an older neighborhood?Since you have a child, the school district would be an important factor as well. Pittsburgh has many parks, museums and attractions. How important is easy access to these amenities to you and your family? I would be happy to help you in learning about Pittsburgh neighborhoods and to send you information about surrounding communities and area attractions.

Margaret Felkay
Sale Agent with eXp Realty
I will start looking in that area now. Thanks for your prompt reply.
I would recommend that you look in the northern part of Allegheny County with access to I-279. Of the major Pittsburgh highways, the north tends to have the quickest commute times. Route 28 in the north, however, is going through major construction, and outbound commute time will be challenging.

Doing a quick search on Trulia and Zillow, there are a few that look promising under $1500. You may also want to factor in homes that come with a washer and dryer, as opposed to just hookups.

A rental home in the burbs would be preferable to an apartment complex. I would also be working in the downtown area and would not shy away from a 30-45 minute commute to work.

Much of it depends on where you will be working, and how much of a commute you prefer. Rents vary with neighborhoods, and it may be easier to rent a home that allows pets instead of an apartment complex.