For Rent in New York>Question Details

Jannerys Ros…, Renter in New York, NY

Is this a scam?

Asked by Jannerys Rosado, New York, NY Tue Jan 8, 2013

I was looking to rent an apartment and the rental price is almost hard to believe and the owner is in out of state and can not show me the place until he gives me the keys. He is not requiring me to pay before hand though. In his "application" he asks for my name, address, move in and out date, a picture of me, how much I pay in rent, how many people are moving in etc. This will be my first apartment so I'm just nervous and skeptical about everything.

Answers

13
Matthew Tully’s answer
This smells suspiciously like a scam... If this is the one I'm thinking of, the "landlord" ask for financial information and your Social Security number after your first email, expect you to wire or overnight certified checks, and says they'll overnight you keys on receipt of all moneys. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Best of luck in your search!

MATTHEW TULLY
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson

424 Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10024
T 610.310.0051 F 646.588.3933
mtully@aclawrence.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Good Morning Jannerys,

What does it mean, he cannot show you the place until he gives me the keys?
Usually when someone gets the keys, it means that they already rendered the money for the rent and the security...
Is the place leased sight unseen? Some firms do it but I would stick with a reputable firm.
And why are you going after this specific person? And don't forget if it seems that it is too good to be true then it is too good to be true.

Best of luck!
Fern Hamberger
VP Asso Broker
fhamberger@corcoran.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Thank you all. All of your answers have been extremely helpful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Glad to hear that! -Ali, Community Manager
Flag Wed Jan 9, 2013
Run from this as fast as you can! Anyone who is not willing to show an apt, probably has no right to rent it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Do not give anyone your inforamtion until you are sure of the situation.
In todays world if you hand someone all this information, you may become the victim of a fraud.

Back away.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Run away from this. Report this to Trulia.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Yep- Nick is right! Please email fraud@trulia.com, we will investigate!
Flag Tue Jan 22, 2013
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Jannerys,
I am currently going through the same thing I wonder if he/she has the same email. The individual seems nice but I fear for in the individuals lack of grammar and understanding of the English language. I am actually excited to see where exactly this goes because I would never give bank information out, or my social security number or even my real address. I wish deep down it was real because the offer is to good to be true. Interestingly enough the same house I am looking at to rent (or was looking at) isnon this site for sale. So I know it's a scam.
Melissa
It is a scam and very common. Never deal with any landlord or property management agent that you can't personally meet. Don't rent anything site unseen either. There are plenty of legitimate options out there.

Chris
Where's the link to this so called listing? As the old saying goes, "If it's too good to be true....THEN IT IS!"
I would not give any personal information to anyone you have not met. Any landlord or owner will have keys and be able to get access to an apartment. If he is out of town, there is usually someone who can show for him.
NEVER give your social security number until you have viewed an apartment and need apartment approval.
Although these documents may be required to rent an apartment in New York, the general rule is if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
My advice is to hire a broker or real estate sales agent to help.
Michele portnof
Senior associate Broker
Rutenberg Realty
mportnof@crrnyc.com
This seems like a scam. You should look for reputable real estate company and meet the agent at the office so it can give you some level of comfort.

Rafael Barbosa | Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
CITI HABITATS
1456 First Avenue | New York, NY 10021
P 212.774.3800 | Cell 917.435.6611
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. It sounds like a scam. Some basic rules of thumb, never rent sight unseen, never fall for the pout of town or out of country landlord, dont fall for we are only charging half price so you take good care of it trick, NEVER wire money for a rental. You can easily make sure the owner is actually the woner by reviewing the tax card in the town or city for free, most are online by typing in the address. Meet someone and ask them for ID. Be aware alot of online ads on Craigslist and here are scammers that keep coming back over and pver. Going to a local Real Estate agent who uses the MLS to search for valid rentals is one way to stay safe.