For Rent in Las Vegas>Question Details

Latte4630, Home Buyer in Henderson, NV

In Nevada how many agents can list a rental property. I'm unsure who to rent from

Asked by Latte4630, Henderson, NV Tue May 29, 2012

I see the same rental property listed by two different realty companies. I met one of the property agents or listing manager now I see the listing again on the Internet by someone else. Is this fraud and should I be concerned?

Answers

6
And a quick note - you can choose just one agent to assist you with your rental needs. The landlords pay us "finder's fees". You don't need to go directly to the listing agent.
It is technically IDX. I run it on my rental website: http://lasvegashouserentals.info. I have entered a web reference below on what IDX is. In a nutshell it is permission based advertising to give buyers/sellers and renters the information they are looking for.

I have included a web referenced linked to this answer that explains IDX in detail.
Hi Latte,
What you may be seeing is the sharing of listings in online "aggregators" like Trulia and Zillow. For instance, when you find a property on Trulia, the agent pictured in the box to the side may not be the listing agent, but an agent who has bought an advertisement slot. Some of these aggregators have legal agreements with real estate agencies and MLS services for the right to use the listings, but other websites do not, and are in fact using them illegally. Sometimes agents pool their listings with those of other agents on websites they share for more exposure. There can be any number of reasons you see the property on more than one website and associated with more than one agent.
If you're interested in the property, ask one of the agents to show it to you. Be sure to check that they are indeed a real estate agent: ask for their card, meet them at their office, look their name up in the list of licensees on the Nevada Real Estate Division Site. Any licensed agent can show you a home that's listed on the MLS (that's why it's on MLS.). If you decide you want it, the agent will probably put you in touch with the actual listing agent who will write the contract and take the deposits. For his work, the agent who showed you the property will get a rental referral. Many agents will not show rentals as they are too busy, and the rental referral rate is low compared to a sale, or will only show rentals to their established clients. Other agents thrive on them and use them to build their list of clients; who knows, that renter today may be a buyer tomorrow.
If the agent you met told you he is a property manager, or affiliated with a property manager, it is likely they are the listing agents for the property. Ask him if he is the listing agent. Agents are required by law to be truthful. If he evades the question, I would walk away. If you lease, the day-to-day business including repairs, rental payments, HOA complaints, etc, will be handled by the property manager's office, and you have a right to feel comfortable with that office.
Good Luck
Mike Pristow, Donna Hodge & Associates
2230 Corporate Cr. #250
702-604-1001
There are many agents that are showing agents. Just like if you were to buy a property many agents can show a property. I am a full service agent and do show many rental properties. I just show them then pass them to the listing agent to start the rental application. I make time to help those that looking for a property and not wasting an agents time. Just like if we sell a property we only get paid if you sign the lease. As a showing agent would love to show you a property that fits your needs.

Jan Ratzlaff
Wardley Real Estate
702-379-7773
Team D'ercole is right on. I personally do not have time to work rentals. But, I highly recommend you work with a licensed agent. I have seen a few people fall victim to rental scams, when they went out on their own.
Yes there are a lot of scams out there but you're probably seeing agents using MLS Listings to advertise themselves to get customers. It is best that you find ONE agent to work with you, show you homes, send you current and active listings like me and my wife do. We are a top property management company with over 350 homes. We provide a FREE Rental Finder Service that you might want to take advantage of. Just email us your criteria, we create a custom search for you and email you only homes that match that criteria, let us know which ones you want to see and we take you on a tour and assist with application process. We can also help make sure you're not getting invoveled with a forecosure.

Matthew D’Ercole
One Source Realty and Management
Buyer / Renter Specialists
Cell - 702.501.0973
Website - http://matthewsellslasvegas.las.mlxchange.com