For Rent in New York>Question Details

Jacqueline C…, Renter in New York, NY

I've been looking for a Studio or 1 Bdrm in all of Manhattan. None of the agents ever answer me back. Are agents screened before posting on?

Asked by Jacqueline C Mitchell, New York, NY Thu Mar 14, 2013

Trulia? There are 3 particular agents that always have the same apartments listing for rent. Whenever I call or email them, they never respond. I spoke to one in particular that asks for a fee upfront. I think they are a hoax.

Answers

25
I'm sorry but do any agents feel the same as this "buyer"?
I post great answers to all of these "questions" proposed and never get one response when i have all my contact info Etc.
smells like a scam to me... I've found trulia to be totally useless in connecting me with any buyers
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 14, 2013
I agree. I've learned that people just like to complain on here. If they truly wanted our help they would reach out. I've also tried to help multiple people, and none of them answer me.
Flag Sat Mar 23, 2013
There are over 12,000 licensed agents in ,Manhattan. There are over 20,000 apartments on the market at any given moment in time. However, with a vacancy rate of 1% apartments are MOVING TARGETS. Anyone who actually tries to "shop" for an apartment in Manhattan already knows this as they often experience situations that are extremely. frustrating, such as more than one application on the same apartment ( as most of these are open listings which all agents and brokers have access to as well as tens of thousands of people who are shopping at any given moment)
All of this is BEYOND THE CONTROL of even the most diligent rental agent, as" serious " customers (who i define as facing an imminent DEADLINE ) and have no options,( except moving their things in storage, at the end of the week) move way beyond those 3 agents that you are still focused on. due to their imminent need. That is why i suspect that the reason that you are still concerned with those 3 agents is because you are not facing any kind of deadline or NEED, as you may not have any deadline,. You have a desire to improve your current situation which is admirable and you are well within your rights to do so However the reason you are still trying to contact those same 3 brokers may be because you have hope of finding something that is better than your current situation , but dont want to spend more than your budget will allow.
When you go beyond on line window shopping, after you educate yourself on the market, you may find that rents have gone up a lot since you rented your apartment, and that is why you may be having so much difficulty finding what you want, In any case you have every right to educate yourself , and to learn as much as you can about your options, regardless .

If you would like me to give you a free consultation, and provide you with free, unlimited advice , call me anytime, but definitely do not pay anyone in advance for anything, except maybe your car payments, or other financial obligations . Never, never, pay any one in advance to show you an apartment, and never give anyone a deposit until you are also submitting a written application for the same apartment that you have viewed and wish to rent. . (this is an area that some brokers try to get tricky about so watch out for that, when you do start viewing apartments.
Jerry Trudell
Licensed Real Estate Agent
917-995-5064
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 14, 2013
Three agents never email you back. Why don't you switch to another agent? If you have a bad experience with them, you wouldn't want to work with them anyway. If these agents always have the same listings for rent, you already know there's something wrong, so just move on.
Go to a reputable agency and see what the possibilities are.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 14, 2013
Just like any business there are unfortunately good and bad representatives in Real Estate as well.

Just remember you have the power to take your bossiness elsewhere if your not satisfied with your treatment.

If you need any help in finding a studio or 1 bedroom in Manhattan I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have as straight forward and honestly as I possibly can

Mark Benson
Bond New York Properties
Licensed Real Estate Agent
646.723.3079
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 14, 2013
If you are still in need of a good Agent, feel free to call or email me anytime.

Lisa Salter
Ardor Real Estate
(516)884-2932
Lsalter@ardorny.com
Are you looking at a realistic price point. Sometimes we as agents have clients that are interested at looking at listings but their budget wouldn't work anywhere near Manhattan. I would be more than happy to help you look at places if you want. Email or call me. Thanks Michelle
Hello, Jacqueline
Well the reason there a many different agents beating the same listings down your throat, Is because most realtys share the same database of listings, the best bet would be to choose a real estate agent with a good reputation. Good luck
Hello Ms. Mitchell. If these three "brokers" have the same listings and you keep trying to contact them, at what point would you consider passing on them and calling another broker? It seems obvious they are not for real no matter if the apartment is or not.

Perhaps there is more to this story but never pay an up front fee. Having said (written?) this let's look at something else. In Manhattan there is an unwritten rule for renters. That rule has to do with income in relation to the rental price. Brokers look for income equal to 40 times the asking rent. Higher end buildings may require 50 times and of course, credit, assets and work history will all play a role.

I did see your profile. Your budget is an issue and might bring a limited amount of rental options. I'll take a small leap of faith that you are a well qualified customer. Now, go get yourself a better broker to help you find that which you seek. Good luck.
It may not, necessarily, be a scam. Every agent must "park" his license with a responsible broker. When an agent transfers their license to another broker, sometimes their listings get locked under his/her former broker, since those particular listings are property of the broker and not the individual agent. Once these listings are no longer part of the feed from the broker to Trulia, the listings will be removed.
Yes it's a hoax, never pay fee on front. we only getting the Fee if you take a place.

Let me know what you looking for, and I would love to try to help you with that.

Anat Levy
FYI: There are brokers out there that open Trulia accounts for all of their agents. Many of those agents do not know how to respond to requests on Trulia, and some of them are not even aware that they have a Trulia account.
Flag Fri Mar 15, 2013
Call me my office has plenty of inventory.Call me at 212-499-9065.Thanks Blaise
Hi Jacqueline,

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience. Trulia does make sure that all agents featured in their site are legitimate agents, however, as in any business, there are some who just never seem to respond. If you need assistance, please give me a call/email/text and I will assist you in finding an apartment or if I cannot, guide you in the right direction.
Hi Jacqueline.
My name is Joshua Balsam. I am an agent with AC Lawrence. I'm sorry about your tough experience so far. Feel free to give me a call at 646-643-4601 and I can find you a place. My company has thousands of listings available throughout the city.

Best
Josh
Hi , My Name is Anthony , I am Licensed Real -Estate Salesperson in Manhattan i would love to assist
you on your search for the apartment of your dreams please give me a call at your earliest Convenience , Hope to hear from you

Best ,

Anthony Fernandez
Licensed Real Estate Associate
4 West 37th street , 3rd Floor
New York , NY 10018
Office:212-563-6999
cell:718-600-8164
Anthony@NVHNY.com
Jacqueline,

I would love to assist you, but am not active in the city.

I will ask, however, that some restaint is used in reposting; we have now received this five times.

Thanks so much for your cooperation.
Just saw 2 studios on w 16th
One for 2100 and other is 1970
Send email for pics
Being painted for April 1
Hi Jacqueline,

I just listed a 1 bedroom in a luxury condo at Gateway Towers Condominium at 2098 Frederick Douglass Blvd. (Eighth Avenue) between 113/114th Street. $2350/month

It is available June 1st. There currently is tenant in apartment but gave notice. They will be moving out end of May. I can show any time with at least 24 hour notice to notify tenants.

Currently It is my only rental exclusive listing.

http://www.corcoran.com/nyc/Listings/Display/2559628

Mitchell Hall
Senior Associate Broker
The Corcoran Group
917-312-0924
mhall@corcoran.com
http://corcoran.com/mhall
http://nycblogestate.com
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Hi Jacqueline
Let me know how i can help
I can help you. let me know what exactly you are looking for: neighborhood, pets, elevator, etc....

Best, Nikka
You do need to be careful with rentals as there are a lot of scammers out there. Use a legitimate agent of a reputable firm to be your agent. You will pay a fee, but your interests will be protected.
Hi Jacqueline

Please call my office at any time to discuss rentals. You can email me as well. 212-402-4229
Schristie@christiepropertygroup.com
When do you need to move? Any pets? Price points you want to stay between? Areas of interest? Just a few answers you can include when you call or email:)
Im sorry give me a call at 9177217880
I have plenty apartments in Manhattan, give me a call so we can get you into one.
Hello Jacqueline
I work for the Corcoran Group. If you are looking for a rental call me:
212-941-2538 or 917- 599-7533. You can also e-mail me at claudia.barritt@corcoran.com
What kind of studio apartment are you looking for? What is your price range?