For Rent in Land O' Lakes>Question Details

lakeisha.bla…, Real Estate Pro in 34639

I posted my 24331 Painter Dr, Land O Lakes rental on Craigslist, Trulia and Zillow, but only one person has contacted me.

Asked by lakeisha.black, 34639 Mon Feb 18, 2013

I have also put a sign at the community entrance. Can someone advise what I may be doing wrong? I am trying to manage the property myself to save money.

Answers

12
Rent estimate is $1,310... if you're above that it may be why no one is willing to pay you more than the market price.
I think the price has a lot to do with the fact that you're not getting as much feedback as you'd like. Also add as many pictures as possible. 7 and up
Craigslist should work unless you're overpriced. You can see what Zillow estimates your rent should be and if you're above market, that's why it's not rented. Better to be at or below market so you don't have tenants moving out every year. Even one month vacancy can be made up with a lower rental price, two months.. Tenants can see everything that is available to rent so there is no way you can get "above market" rents.
How much are you renting the home for? Me and my wife are looking into renting a house in LOL within 2 months. erm.rojas@gmail.com
Mr. Rojas,
The home has rented, I know the homeowner. I would be happy to help you find a property when you come into town. Please review my profile on Trulia and send me a message.
Respectfully,
Tracy Hoyt
Flag Mon Mar 18, 2013
Trying to save $ is a good idea, but if there is no tenant,THERE IS NO $$, I have my property on Zillow and get at least 5 inquires per day.
The more you wait the more $$ you lose.
I think you should get a professional property manager, for 10% of the rent per month, and let them have the headache of renting and maintaining, and eviction problems, you can't save any $$ if you are not making any.
What if you get a bad tenant? Are you aware of the Florida Tenant laws?
Being a landlord in Florida requires a special breed of person, do you know the laws??
Renters are shying away from online sites, go back and use the trusted local paper. Hirng an agent to do it can save you time and money in the lost run so your rentals does not sit empty
You are trying to RENT your home, not sell it.
Just yesterday, the news showed a couple doing the perp walk who has been renting homes they did not own or manage, to others without the owners knowledge. Seems to be a story that is repeated monthly.
-
Potential renters are aware there are predators out there. A bandit sign on the curb with "3/2/2 $900" is a big red flag. Renters are aware they need someone looking out for their best interests. Those who are not are looking for a naive owner. As others have stated, you should consider other options.
-
CL, Trulia, Zillow, bandit signs, newspaper and community bulletin boards are all good options, but simply can not get same level of response possible when engaging those who do this on a daily basis.
Best of success to you.
I appreciate all of the answers posted here. Thank you. I will consider an agent to find me a tenant.

Take care everyone!
Lakeisha,
Good luck. I know how hard it is. I am a Realtor and I still use the Property Managers to find a tennant for my rental. I want to know they have been checked out before I let them in my home. Please feel free to email me any real estate question at THOYT@prutropical.com I love to help.
Tracy H
Tracy H
Flag Tue Feb 19, 2013
Lakeisha,

Getting the information out to possible renters can be hard. The property managers know all the ends and outs of gettiing your home seen. It could be a pricing issue as well, many people price their home compared to a home that may have more upgrades on the inside. I would suggest using a property manager to get the clients into the home but then run it yourself. There is a seperate fee to do just that. You would not spend as much for management but you would get a qualified renter into your home. I would be more than happy to recommend a few that are experts in your area.

Please review my profile on Trulia and send me a message or email me directly at THOYT@prutropical.com

No pressure, just help.

Respectfully,
Tracy Hoyt
Prudential Tropical Realty
Yes, there are other better, much better sites.

Also, you maybe over priced, to few pictures, bad copy, just all kinds of stuff.

Sometimes when you try to save money you really cost yourself a ton. So do you want
100% of Nothing - or 80% of 100,000?

5
Lakeisha,
I am going to have to agree with Dan on this one. With all the legalities and contracts, buyers are working with Realtors now more than ever. No one wants to fill out all that paperwork incorrectly and have it come back to haunt them.
Dan also had a point with buyers trying to save on the commission as well. They know the seller is saving it, so they will use that leverage to work down the price, so they can save as well.
I am a local agent, and I do property management, but you can also use an agent just to list the rental for a fee, and then manage the property yourself as well. You do not HAVE to use them throughout the whole process if you want to manage yourself.
When renters speak with agents, agents do not look at "For Rent By Owners". They do not show up in our database, so lots of potential tenants never even see your home.

If you want some more information, please give me a call and I would be glad to give you some advice or answer any more questions you may have.

Thanks and good luck to you,
Marie Barakat
Coldwell Banker Residential
813-992-1217
mbarakat337@yahoo.com
Lakeisha,
The vast majority of buyers are using agents to assist them and look out for their interests. If your home is not listed in the local MLS it's lost amidst a sea of other postings and no agents are sending it to their buyers. Your visibility, despite your efforts may be 10% of what a properly listed home would be.
Next, buyer's who are willing to work with FSBO's (for sale by owners) want to save themselves the commission too. If you save yourself money, how can they save themselves any money? Something has to give.
The truth is, a well presented, well marketed, easy to see and appropriately priced home will sell quickly and for the highest possible price. By cutting back on marketing, you're not getting any showings to schedule, let alone an offer to negotiate.
Please, take some time to find an outstanding local agent. A good agent is worth more than their commission, but a bad one or none at all can cost you in ways beyond just a commission. Save yourself real time and money and hire a real pro. Best of luck.