For Rent in 28277>Question Details

Shelly, Home Seller in Charlotte, NC

I'm interested in renting out my 2 bedroom townhouse. It's in a nice townhome community in the 28277 area. How can I get the property ready?

Asked by Shelly, Charlotte, NC Fri Nov 26, 2010

to rent?

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 28277

Answers

6
Shelly,

The answers you have received are very good. I own some rental properties and have helped clients get their homes ready for rent. My to do list starts with a complete inventory of what the house needs. I then make sure everything is fixed, repaired and touched up.

Since yours is a town home check the covenants and restrictions. Get a copy of them and make sure you go ver them with the prospective tenant. You are ultimately liable for anything they do and any rules they break in regards to the covenants and restrictions.

Hire a cleaning company to come in and doa thorough cleaning of the place prior to placing it on the market. thsi will help enhance the unit. it will also allow you to get a better quality tenant.

Take multiple photos of rooms from different angles. Try to create a virtual tour of the unit. place them in an order as if you were entering the townhome and follow them through the rooms. take photos of any amenities you may at the complex.

Post ti on craigslist, trulia and rent.com. if you hire a Realtor to help you with the rental of the unit then they can put it on the multiple listing service for you and help you screen applicants as well....
Web Reference: http://www.davedicecco.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 26, 2010
Shelly,

Do a search and see what your competition is. Make sure it is clean and get 2 sets of eyes with a fresh look at property. Stage it and price it right. You should have no problems renting it out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 19, 2010
Hi Shelly,

We have a full service property management company and can advice you on getting ready for market and can even take care of all or some of that for you. I would love to have the opportunity to see your house and discuss our services with you.

Kind Regards,
Matt
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 27, 2010
Shelly you have great information in the two previous answers. I agree that these things will help have your townhome show ready and in move in condition. Well maintained property is what tenants are looking for.

You need to be ready as well. It sounds as though you have not been a landlord before. Read the Covenants for your townhome association regarding rentals, as you will be held accountable for your tenants actions. You will want to make sure your lease agreement includes these rules and regulations, and that the new tenants understand and agree to abide by them. Sounds like you have a great investment property.
I completely agree with Lexie Longstreet's comments. As a property manager I also make sure the house is as energy efficient as possible, because the reason many tenants move from one property to another is the cost of utility bills. Make sure you have good seals around interior and exterior entry points (Doors and Windows). A little weather stripping and caulk goes a long way. In addition, I paint all of my properties using flat paint. If you use egg shell or semi gloss you will always need to paint complete walls and sometimes rooms. Flat paint will allow you to touch up often times without it looking like it was a touch up job.

Larius Woodson
Web Reference: http://www.explorealty.com
Probably the best thing to do is make sure it is clean. Spick and span. Clean the carpets and air filters, etc. If it needs a fresh coat of paint in any of the rooms... go ahead and do it. But remember any time a tenant leaves you will probably have to paint again... unless they are light users.
After you get it all clean and ready... advertise it on Craig's List with lots of good pictures and include pictures of the community amenities. Good luck! You shouldn't have much trouble getting it rented.