For Rent in Buckeye>Question Details

Eleanordp, Home Owner in Buckeye, AZ

I have a house in Riata West Buckeye, AZ I like to know if I can rent it out to someone who is in Section 8. Its a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath.

Asked by Eleanordp, Buckeye, AZ Fri May 27, 2011

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Buckeye

Answers

5
You will need to contact the Housing Authority and fill out an application and they will inspect the home before you can become a Section 8 landlord. Check on line :how to rent out a section 8 home.

Kris Marie GRI CBR SRES
Keller Williams Realty PP
602-463-0083
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 27, 2011
i am in sec 8 due to permanently disabled child & am looking but have been unable to find a place to rent. tex me @ 9093011839 thanx so much ~ Melissa Perry
The answer that no one else wants to tell you directly is, YES! You may rent your home out to whomever YOU please as long as they fit the process you require and your home can pass the HUD inspection. HUD does have a process and certain criteria to assist the renter towards managed independence over time. This affords the home owner leasing their property to benefit for the use of the property via the Section 8 Program while the Section 8 tenant is given the opportunity to reside in housing that is "market competitive".

Here's a little more about the inspection criteria. Was your home built recently? If so and it has no interior damage or was not maintained or repaired if purchased in an "as is" condition (like some homes purchased as short sales or auction properties), you will likely pass inspection. Are all the screens on the windows, all switch and plate covers on electrical outlets, any holes in walls not repaired, etc? Do all doors open in and out correctly? Is all plumbing in good working order and finally, is the house up to current building codes and not behind in HOA dues, etc? If your home is "rent ready" (in an otherwise clean, fire preventive and code managed order), you should not be overly concerned about passing. Whatever is not passable (say two screens were missing from the windows, there was peeling paint on the front porch and the front door lock was not secured properly), the inspector would let you know what needs to be repaired and give you an appropriate window of time to correct the items.

I find some of the answers as to how long it could take to be a bit derogatory in stance since you are not asking to be a Section 8 landlord by default of applying to become one, BUT have someone who has Section 8 tenancy approval, which the process is a bit different. Obviously the preference goes to getting people INTO homes who have received their Section 8 certificate. If they are able to find a home NOT listed on the already approved homeowners willing to rent to them under current provision, they are ENTITLED to find an owner whose home fits the criteria mentioned above.

Obviously I can't list all the criteria, but a link was offered below so that'd be a step in the right direction. Another is to contact the program itself through Housing and Urban Development which is just East of Downtown Phoenix on Washington or Jefferson (I forget which and I believe between 9th Street and 12th Street). Hope this answer helps so you don't get the impression it's a never ending cycle to deal.

Also don't forget you are permitted to visit your rental on an annual basis with proper notification. I would advise you take advantage of this to insure the property is being well cared for from a rental standpoint. Such tenants do provide a consistent income to the landlord while the program helps to assist them by providing a stable and cost manageable existence which can go for a few to several years depending on their personal situation. So it's good to have the opportunity to evaluate the overall impact of long term tenancy in maintaining your rental unit that you would ordinarily receive leasing on an annual basis at move out inspection.

~Flight of the Phoenix
When you are to consider making your home available thru Section 8 for rent, one should consider that the process to get approved by Section 8 is timely. many people think, "oh, I will rent to Section 8 tenants" so I can have a guaranteed and stable tenant, but the process does take some time and knowledge about the condition a home must be in to qualify and pass Section 8 standards. It very well may take a few months to get approval, even if your property is up to the standards required, but Section 8 housing can be very profitable in the long term.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 28, 2011
http://new.azhousing.gov/ShowPage.aspx?ID=147

You should be able to get the answers you need from the above web site.