For Rent in Portland>Question Details

Kelly Kruger, Renter in Portland, ME

I have a genral asstitance voucher and no one will rent to me.I have two beautiful children lilith 8 and liam 9 months old,we are apart

Asked by Kelly Kruger, Portland, ME Fri Jan 25, 2013

This question was asked from this property:…

The city has a list (and a web site) that can put you in touch with landlords throughout the city. Talk to the GA office for details. Good luck getting your faily back together.
Hi Kelly. I have a landlord you should talk to. Call me? 207.615.1390
I cannot attest to the rules in Portland but here in the Lewiston-Auburn area there are some issues with GA.

For instance, GA does not allow for a security deposit and does do not pay Fair Market Value. The law states that a landlord MUST accept Section 8 and city assistance vouchers but they do not have to lower their rental amounts.

It is illegal, as a landlord or property manager, to accept an "under the table" security deposit or to require (and accept) additional money above and beyond the payment made by GA (or Section 8).

I suspect that this is what you are facing. I know this doesn't help except to say that you may be looking at rental property that is of higher value then your GA allows for.