For Rent in Oakland>Question Details

Clara, Home Buyer in 78259

I got a very suspicious email when I requested information on a rental. I have copied and pasted it. What can be done about this?

Asked by Clara, 78259 Mon Feb 18, 2013

My name is Don Kelvin. I'm a project manager in civil engineering. I
just relocated to Manila Philippines . because my company has won an
auction for a big construction project. I'll stay here for the next
3-4 years or more so I won't come back soon. I'm looking for someone
to live in my House from there.I will tell you from the beginning that
I don't have a problem if you are a student or if you would like to
keep pets there, as long as you clean up after them. The minimum lease
is available for Long and also Short Term Lease, very important, the
utilities are included in the price per month.

Details:
Rent: $1000 (Monthly)
Damages Deposit: $1000
Date Available: Asap
House Address: 5351 Lawton Ave, Oakland, CA 94618
Bedroom: 3
Bathrooms: 2

Amenities in the House:
Appliances: Electric Stove, Fridge,/Interior: Air
Conditioning,Microwave,Balcony, Deck, Patio or Porch,Over sized
Closets,Internet Cable Access Ready,Washer & Dryer
Connections,Furnished Hardwood Floor,Ceili

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Oakland

Answers

4
Many realtors have experienced having their listings hijacked and then posted as for rent.

If you found this on craigslist, here's their link about scams
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Craiglists says:

You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules whenever using craigslist:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
DO NOT RENT HOUSING WITHOUT SEEING THE INTERIOR, OR PURCHASE EXPENSIVE ITEMS SIGHT-UNSEEN - in all likelihood that housing unit is not actually for rent and that cheap item does not exist.
DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT CHECKS OR BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR A JOB OR FOR HOUSING UNTIL YOU HAVE MET THE INTERVIEWER OR LANDLORD/AGENT IN PERSON.

You may consider working with a property management company to help you locate a rental. You can find them on craigslist when they advertise their listings. Call anyone of them. They will ask you to go to their office to get prequalified (yes, you will be asked to complete an application and to agree to a credit check -- after all, landlords will need protection against scams, too)

It was obvious to me this was a scam but what most concerns me is that I inquired on trulia only not through craigslist so I thought Trulia had more filters/protection to prevent this. Also I wanted to post it because I wanted to make sure people are aware that this is going on. Maybe Trulia should have a scam link also.
Flag Mon Feb 18, 2013
Hi, As already mentioned, this is a scam. Unfortunately some unscrupulous individuals are searching for homes that are currently on the market and listing them as though they are rentals.

In this case the property was actually sold last in 2009.

Often the rental price seems too good to be true for the location, and it is. Rents in this area garner premium rents, so it unfortunately looks like this individual is try to see who they can scam.

Never send money directly to anyone for a rental and make sure that the individual can actually meet you and show you the property. If they are not able or willing to set up a time to view the property, then this is one of the red flags to look out for.

It is frustrating that there are folks out there doing this, but hopefully you will have luck finding a rental.

Hope this helps!

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Realtors
DRE 01715440
http://www.ViewOaklandHomes.com
Report it to the administrators here, report it to Craig's list, it's a scam. NEVER wire money anywhere.
Clara, this is one of the typical rental scams out there - you were wise to question it.
Report the email to trulia - I believe there is a report button for that purpose.

Be wary of any far fetched stories like this one. The scammers always claim to be out of the area with elaborate stories.....next you would be asked to wire money for the keys. They come up with all kinds of stories as to why you can't see the place in person..........the biggest tip off that this is a scam is that the rental amount is usually way too low - too good to be true...because it isn't true!

Don't be lured in because you see real photos...they often cut and paste photos from real listings.