For Rent in Portland>Question Details

Mizzyrena55, Renter in Portland, OR

I am homeless with four children and have a past balance of money owed to my landlord are there any landlords willing to work with tenants

Asked by Mizzyrena55, Portland, OR Thu Dec 12, 2013

Answers

3
Hi, I am so sorry to hear about your current circumstances. I agree with the other agent who answered. You should call the Department of Human Services immediately. Try this number, it is for the DHS office in NE Portland - 971-673-5722. They will be able to get you some resources for your immediate situation and perhaps guide you to a landlord who might be willing to work with your challenging rental history. I wish you and your family the very best, my heart goes out to you. Stay safe and warm.
Hi there.

I don't know of any landlords who will work with tenants who have poor rental history, However, I am knowledgeable of a myriad of resources in the community that will help renters like you to get into another place QUICKLY and will help you work with your landlord. These are programs not related to DHS. Call 211 or send me an e mail if you want to know more.

In my "other" life, I am a huge advocate for the low income community so I have first hand knowledge about what is out there for people.

joannas_dc@hotmail.com
Call Rent Well Independent Living in Portland. It's not for immediate housing, however, after you go through their classes and receive a certificate, they will guarantee to a new landlord that should you default or be late on rental payments they will cover it. It's not for immediate housing but you indicated you wanted to work to overcome your past problems. Rent Well does this! It's a free program.
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013
Call DHS. They have monthly money available as well as low or no income housing. Do you have any income now? If none, you can try shelters that care for single parents with kids. There is one in Tigard. Im sorry about your situation. You are not alone, thats for sure. I know thats not much consolation. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 12, 2013