For Rent in Chicago>Question Details

Simpson, Renter in Chicago, IL

I am a single female with no kids that have a section 8 voucher. I am looking to move on the northside only. No southside or westside.

Asked by Simpson, Chicago, IL Thu Apr 4, 2013

Also,I cannot see apartments that have income restrictions or that is a tax credit property because I do not qualify. My voucher expires this month on April 29th. I could use all the help. I am a great tenant and my landlord can verify. Thank you!

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Chicago

Answers

8
There are only a few ways a tenant with a section 8 voucher can be turned down in Chicago.
1. an owner occupant can discriminate when choosing a tenant for the building they live in.
2. an owner can have a building that will not pass a CHA inspection
3. the voucher holder cannot meet basic creditworthiness criteria used by the owner to evaluate applicants.
4. a Voucher has restrictions on the areas it may be used in, based on neighborhood income, blighted status or other conditions not related to the specific property.
As someone who has been working with voucher and opportunity (mobility) voucher tenants, I can tell you #3 is what continually keeps the door closed to section 8 voucher holders.

Almost any other reason is a fair housing violation, but an owner has the right to require all applicants to conform to a creditworthiness standard.
Know your FICO score, and ask when you apply what the credit score criteria is for an owner to review an application, and be sure you get a specific number, not a statement like "good credit", and remember income alone cannot be used to determine whether or not an applicant can be accepted as a tenant.

good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 4, 2013
email me at jmichaels@remax.net and I will send you my list
I've been on the website and none of the places I called have one bedroom available.
Dear Simpson,

Even if you do not use a real estate agent to assist you with this process, you can still get some information about available units from the CHAC website itself (I've included a link below).

Not all owners who accept vouchers list their available properties here, but many who are most familiar with the program do.

From the main website splash page, click on the "Voucher Holders" link and then the "Fnd a place to live" link and go from there.

Let me know if you need any additional assistance, and good luck to you.

http://www.thecha.org/pages/housing_choice_voucher_program/69.php

--

Christopher Thomas
Broker Associate, Keller Williams Realty Chicago Consulting Group
716 E. 47th St. Chicago, IL 60653
(773) 770-5947 (cell) (312) 577-0985 (fax)
cthomas@kw.com
http://www.myagentchris.kwrealty.com
I tried calling you. I did not get an answer.
Flag Sat Apr 6, 2013
Find a broker or rental agent that can help you out who knows the section 8 program. Also in a search on craigslist in the search criteria include section 8 or sec 8.

Best of Luck
I did. They can't find anything.
Flag Fri Apr 5, 2013
I would try and get a rental agent that specializes in this. Its free to use their services.
Feel free to contact me to discuss.
Web Reference: http://www.BJDHOMES.com
Ok. Thank you! I will first thing in the morning,
Flag Thu Apr 4, 2013
You should connect with a local Realtor familiar with the rental market on the North Side of Chicago. It would be easier to connect you with the right Realtor to find you the right property, if you would let us know which areas you want to consider, what type of property you need, in other words a condo with how many bedrooms, one or two ok? Do you have pets? As this may eliminate some buildings as they may not allow pets or have limitations, You also need to give us a little more information about the amount of your voucher, if you need a garage or street parking is ok, if you need an elevator building or walk up works for you, so as you can see there are many questions you need to discuss with your own
personal Realtor.
Let me know if you need a referral...
122 Chesterville Rd
Landenberg, PA 19350
I'm looking for a one bedroom only. No pets. I prefer the second floor and a elevator is fine. Street parking is fine. Condo or not. I just want to live in a nice area and I want my place to look nice as well. I have several realtors helping me,but they cannot find anything. I will like a referral. Thank you!
Flag Thu Apr 4, 2013