For Rent in Denver>Question Details

mytosha.mold…, Renter in Denver, CO

Husband and I are moving to Denver next year.

Asked by mytosha.molden, Denver, CO Sat Feb 8, 2014

Looking for something close to downtown with a washer/dryer in unit if possible. Would like to rent not to exceed $800 if possible. Suggestions?

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Denver

Answers

6
I hate to be the messenger, but I suggest you consider bumping your budget up and/or broadening the areas you are willing to consider. Rents have gone up a lot in the Denver metro area in the last 18 months, and they don't seem to be slowing down. $800/month won't get you much these days, at least not in the more popular communities. Check out http://www.rentals.com That site will provide you with rental rates for currently available properties in a variety of communities.

Best of luck to you.
The market has gotten a lot tougher here. If you want to be central more and more landlords/agents are holding open houses which get flooded with applicants. It can feel discouraging. Craigslist can give you a good idea, though you have to wade through the agents' listings- I've never been a fan of using agents. I would suggest finding a sublet on Craigslist or getting a room for a week or two from AirBnb dot com and then searching for the best neighborhood and place for you.
Average rent in Denver has increased from the $800 range to $1050 just in the last few years. It seems that you are having to start to go further and further outside of Downtown Denver for a rent price of $800 with this current rental market. Here's a list of some of the rentals that I manage, just to give you an idea what they are going for:

1 bed 1 bath in Park Hill (great neighborhood, great building) - $1,099 (all utilities included)
1 bed 1 bath near University of Denver (I-25 and Evans) - $929 a month
2 bed 2 bath near Lowry with washer and dryer in unit(Alameda and I-25) - $1,049 a month

I'd say your best bet may be over in the Lowry area (Alameda and I-25). It's about 20 minutes away from Downtown Denver, and there are some complexes in that area that have 1 bed 1 bath condos with a washer/ dryer in the unit. If you keep your eye out, you might find one in the $800-$900 range.

If you have any questions about rentals, I have 4 rental properties myself in the Denver area, and know the local rental market well!

Josh
There's plenty available in Denver, though you won't get too much in the center for that price. Some of the best neighborhoods in the central area would be: 5 points, the Highlands, Capitol Hill, Cheesman Park, Congress Park, City Park, Washington Park and Baker District. For $800 in these areas you might not get more than a one bedroom, and it might not be too fancy/modern.
HI, Yes, be careful of rental scams..A good rule of thumb in any on-line deal, always a good idea to check that someone is who they say they are before you send them money. If you need any help in that regard I would be happy to help if can.

How many bedrooms, just 1? Any pets? Any particulars you wish to be close to other than downtown itself?

Craigslist is a great source for listed places by owners ( and can be where scammers are as well), so would start there. I have a know other on-line sources i like, if you want to email me I can send them your way.

Regards

Kris Shuter
Velocity Real Estate & Investments, Inc.
Phone: 303-589-2776
Fax: 303-831-4016
Email: shuter@velocityrei.com
Web: http://www.velocityrei.com
Be very careful of scams when renting. There is a common scam going around denver for places that look like great deals. The scammer asks you to mail them the deposit check so they can hold it for you, but they are not the owners of the property. Make sure you are working with the owner of the place you are looking to rent.