For Rent in Dallas>Question Details

Rebekah Dani…, Home Buyer in Canton, TX

How possible is it to negotiate a 6-month lease on a rental home?

Asked by Rebekah Daniels, Canton, TX Fri Mar 1, 2013

We are moving to the Dallas area on a trial basis, and we really don't want to commit for a full year. Is there a common way to work out a contract for 6 months?

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Dallas

Answers

9
It is unlikely that an owner would take a 6-month lease on a house. The rental season runs from about now until the end of August.

At that time it becomes harder and harder to find qualified renters. Christmas is usually the worst time to put a rental (or a sale) on the market.

Without some compensation, the owner would not want to take the chance on having it vacant for multiple months after you move out in September/October. This year might be different because inventory has dropped and rentals are hot, but expect a "no".
It might be possible, but most owners want at least a year. However, you may sweeten the deal by offering a much higher monthly rent.

http://mbrownstead.kwrealty.com/community/area/McKinney%2C+TX/
I would suggest for you to find an experienced agent in the area who could get you in touch with a Landlord who would help you find a temporary rental. From there you will just sign the lease, and pay any fees associated with it. I would advise finding a real estate agent to help you and negotiate on your behalf so that you aren't charged hidden fees and have a fair chance! There are landlords willing to negotiate 6 month leases if they have not having luck finding a renter for a one year lease (especially in the winter months). It's not uncommon in my experience.
Hi There,
It is possible but could be hard if there's another applicant who is willing to sign a year lease, the landlord would probably choose the year lease if all other things were equal. You may try an apartment or you can give me a call and I can direct you to our corporate housing department which specializes in what you are looking for.
I hope this helps,
Chris
chrisburke@ebby.com
Hi Rebekah,

Yes you can. Its not all that common and they will usually raise the rent for a shorter lease term.

Dixon
http://www.findyourtexashome.com
you can, it might be a little hard, but possible, just give me a call and I would be happy to help!

972-567-3564 Jamie Tankersley
It might be difficult. Pick any 1 Realtor and work with them only.

Kenny
Turtle Creek Realty
It is tough now due to high demand and low inventory. Some might allow, but typically charge more.
I'd probably suggest apt, not house. Many of the apartments will allow shorter term leases....3-4-7 months.

You might even want to get in an extended stay hotel if you're not sure you want to move. If you decide to stay, then commit to something longer term.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Rebekah,
For a 6 months lease it is normally difficult but it is negotiable.
The landlord could charge you extra for a short lease.

If moving to Houston please contact me and i will provide you with my excellent service.

Kadibhai (Kadi)
Better Homes & Gardens Gary Greene, Realtor Katy/Houston
Phone: 832-228-7978
Fax: 281-646 1841
Email: kadi.kadibhai@garygreene.com
Web: http://www.har.com/kadi
"The highest compliment I am ever given is when
I am referred to your family & friends!"
Save on Electricity/Gas & get it for FREE http://www.EZNFree.energy526.com