For Rent in Long Beach>Question Details

Amanda french, Renter in Sacramento, CA

How open and comfortable are home owners when it comes to renting to college students?

Asked by Amanda french, Sacramento, CA Fri Jan 3, 2014

I'm a college student and I, along with 2 or 3 other friends want to rent a house, not an apartment. I feel more comfortable and "at home" with living in a house. I also don't like when home owners just assume we're going to trashed or ruin their home. That's not how I was raised, at all.

Answers

5
Hello Amanda,

Try going thru a property management company, they may have homes for rent.

Home owners who are very concerned about their homes may make very good landlords. At least you know they will keep the property up.

Best of luck to you!!

Kawain Payne Realtor
As a landlord who has rented to college students, I have mixed feelings. I rent often to students. In fact, I have one house rented to a female student right now. However, I find that when groups of male students rent my homes, they tend to trash them. I give all the benefit of the doubt and perform the same credit & past landlord checking for all so I won't be seen to discriminate.

I used to rent to a lot of law students. They were quiet, studious and paid their rent on time. I've noticed now that most want to flex their muscles and attempt to sue me--these are frivolous law suits--and I've never lost one. The Judge has admonished these students, saying they are wasting the Court's time. I'm not fond of renting to law students now. But again, I can't discriminate.

So, I rent to students, but I have to approve their rental applications first.

Marcia Kelly, Keller Williams, Legacy Partner, Topeka, KS

.
Those landlords are out there but can be hard to find. There are some landlords that only rent to students and others that frown on it. You can work with a Realtor to help sift through the available properties or you can work directly with a property management company in the area that may have clients that specifically target that market. I recommend that you work with a Real Estate professional to make the process easier for you and to help avoid any possible scams out there.

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
BRE Lic #01456982
Hi, Amanda-
The answer to this question is that the individual landlords determine whether or not they will rent to students. I worked heavily with the student market, having placed 6 groups of college students into homes last summer/fall. Most of the students were from UC Irvine, Chapman, and Cal State Fullerton. While some landlords absolutely would not accept student groups, other were more than willing to rent to students.

If you work with a Realtor, you have a little more credibility with the landlord. Also, having a strong co-signer helps a lot. Finally, its all in the presentation of your application, which is something a Realtor can help you with. I personally like to write a cover letter, introducing each student, major, hometown, etc.

Its my job to find you a place, and I will spend some time "pre-screening" landlords to find out if they will accept students. The last thing you want to do is get excited about a place, only to find that they are not "student-friendly".

I would be happy to work with you! Contact me today to get started!

Nicole Fedorchek, Realtor
Tarbell, Realtors
714-914-5097
realtornicolef@gmail.com
Happens all the time.
"We're not going to trash the house. That's not how I was raised."
Sure.
What else would you or could you say?
-
Of no concern. Your damage is prorated in the rent. Hit the coffee shops and food stores for the FOR RENT ads local owners put up. Be certain to check with any school resources that inventory these homes for sale. If you have a letter of reference from someone besides Mom or Dad, that could be useful, but not relied upon.
-
Those who rent to students LIKE renting to students. Being involved keep us all young.
Best of success to you.