For Rent in Portland>Question Details

Amanda Stubb…, Renter in 97236

How do I know if a house off of here is real and really for rent?

Asked by Amanda Stubblefield, 97236 Fri Mar 29, 2013

I'm scared to trust the ads on here. How do I know if the person on here listing a house for rent isn't trying to scam me?

Answers

10
The very first step is to Google the address. If it is listed it will show up on one of the secondary re-sellers of information such as Zillow, Redfin, Trulia, etc., either for sale or pending and sometimes sold.

Scammers scour the internet looking for attractive houses to try to rent.....really cheepcheep to suck you in.

Many local scammers will try to meet you in front of the house with some story like the present renters won't be out for a few weeks and they will need a deposit to hold it for you.

If it seems to be too good to be true, IT IS!!!!!
Lots and lots of scams out there. I recommend people meet the landlord INSIDE THE HOUSE, as I've heard of scams where they will even meet the person on the front porch. You almost have to check the Landlord's ID these days to make sure they are legitimate.
I just don't want to live in rockwood or Beaverton/Hillsboro. At the moment I work in Rockwood and my boyfriend works in Beaverton. So we were wanting some place in the middle.
Pet friendly places put you down to about 1 in 300 places. It is really going to be hard to find and the price range you want is probably much further out than 60th try 140th places here are renting for $1 a foot not sure how big you want but I think the last place was a scam. Some rental companies are taking deposits in advance to help you find a place I heard sorry don't have any names. Good Luck Tom Inglesby, Broker
That place sounds great! But it's a little out of my price range. I'm only looking to spend about $1200 tops. Oh and it has to allow small dogs (30lbs), because my boyfriend and I are wanting to get a puppy soon. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Amanda,
you were smart to be cautious! How much can you spend? I have a 2-BR, 1.5 BA, approx 1550sf townhouse style duplex in the Irvington area of Portland that will be available April 16th, 2013 for $1595/mo. Hardwood floors throughout, forced-air gas heat & AC, large closets, 1-car garage, full private basement, small fenced backyard area w/flagstone patio. Walking distance (4 blocks) to NE Broadway shops, restaurants, pubs. Email me if you're interested at jj@janeesejackson.com and I can send photos....
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
503-709-0802
Web Reference: http://fabulousportland.com
Hi Janeese-Your place sounds like exactly the kind of place I'm looking for. My name is Elijah Emilio Gale-single father of 2 sons ages 6 & 7. My younger one just survived a bout with brain cancer and we're ready to move on and create some new memories in a new place. We were hoping to find a spot we like by first of March though so I was wondering if April 16th was the soonest your place would be available. I'm a builder/General Contractor by trade and if I can help you get your place ready sooner it would bemy pleasure. My number is 503-933-1915
Flag Sat Feb 8, 2014
Flag Sat Feb 8, 2014
Well guys, after I emailed them, trying to ask more questions, they removed the for rent listing. I'm pretty sure they were trying to scam people. Because $1000/mth for this house on:4516 se 60th ave portland or is too go to be true.
Contact a realtor in the area to see if they can follow up for you if you arent in the area. If you are in the area drive by the house - check with the title company to see who owns it. Do not ever mail money outside the states to rent a home. Meet someone in person!
Calling a licensed real estate agent to walk you through the process and prepare the lease contracts should put your mind at ease.

Zack King
01882407
Keller Williams Estates Calabasas
(818) 825-7388
Zking1@live.com
http://www.PetPlanetRealty.com
When possible, contact the listing agent and verify the license information. The next safest way is to meet the lister at the house.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com