For Rent in San Diego>Question Details

Edwin.emerso…, Renter in Chicago, IL

How do I find out the real owner of 775 van nuys San Diego. CA we do not live in San Diego yet and this guy has been texting and emailing us wanting

Asked by Edwin.emerson12, Chicago, IL Mon Mar 11, 2013

To meet us about that house to give him the security deposi here in Chicago

Answers

19
Edwin, I bet that is not his real name.
the guy trying to rent it to us is Joey Hladun.
Johanna Hladun is the owner. It is listed as a residential rental for $3995/mo. A $5000 deposit is required. Heidi White is the licensed agent. 858-353-1171
Edwin,

We know you are not the one with the scam, it is the "property owner" that is trying to scam you.

Best to you,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
mark.kari@shea-realestate.com
National Association of Realtors
CA DRE License 01713506
They do this on my listings all the time....I have reported to the internet crime division numberous times but nothing seems to get done about it.
No I am not scamming and just was asking
Is this some kind of new scam i am seeing out there that people are asking for the owners of homes? It is very easy to go online in just about every county and check the public records to see who owns a home.
The County Tax Collector can tell you who is the legal owner of the home or you can go to their site to check it out yourself. There have been scammers out there who say they own a home and are renting it out only to be a company or person who is trying to get your social security numbers or funds from deposits. This was a scam that was being done a few years ago on condos in Downtown San Diego.
If you are moving here from another state, please take my suggestion and find a reputable realtor, make a phone call and talk to a realtor who can help you verify information. In California a realtor is paid by the seller. In some states the rentor pays. These are all things you have to find out. If everyone was not out there looking to go around realtors they would realize they would actually get a better deal. If a house is truly on the market the Realtor can check the house for you, take pictures and arrange for deposits. To have people emailing you requesting information you are asking realtors on Trulia for is making no sense to me at all.
If it sounds to good to be true it is. I have been in this business many years and believe me i have seen it all, and i mean all! You get what you pay for!
Pretty easy to look up in the tax records. Good idea to check since there are people renting property they don't own. Call me at 619-994-8447 and I'll look it up.

Definitely a scam then.

Best of luck,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
mark.kari@shea-realestate.com
National Association of Realtors
CA DRE License 01713506
He was asking 1,000 deposit and 1,000 rent a month

This is definitely looks like a scam.

The house was sold in 2009 for $751,000, and is showing on Zillow & Trulia for rent for $3,995/month, it is NOT Craigslist...which should be red flag.

Especially given the story, suspicious.

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
mark.kari@shea-realestate.com
National Association of Realtors
CA DRE License 01713506
Also, if you Google the address, it will come up with an agent from Real Living real estate office, contact her for more information.
Well, I don't think the owner is a male. How much is he asking for rent?
He said he is here in Chicago doing missionary and wants to meet in person here to do the exchange
Edwin, Maybe you can have a face to face phone convesation, via Skype or if you both have an iPad, and at least he their face. Also if you know anyone in San Diego have them meet with the owner if you cannot come out and see the property. Do not send any money to anyone without checking them out thoroughly.
The person who is wanting to meet us about this house initials are J.H. Also when I googled his name this address came up on his information page not just rentals sites, actuall sites that state he used to live there.

Please see our answer to your other question. The last part states:

Lastly, beware of rental scam listings and ads that "look too good to be true”. Make sure you talk to the person managing the property and meet them to see it. Scams usually involve people asking for a deposit prior to seeing the property or filling out a rental application.

Please contact us if you have questions,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
mark.kari@shea-realestate.com
National Association of Realtors
CA DRE License 01713506
Edwin, There are a lot of scams happening, please do not send any money to anyone you don't know. Are you looking to rent a place in San Diego? How did this person get your information, especially your phone number and your email address? The owners initials J.H. of this property on Van Nuys. I am not going to disclose the owner's full name.

Best of luck to you.
Sounds like it might be a Scam.