For Rent in Boston>Question Details

Tyeshia Cole…, Renter in Boston, MA

How can i use my section 8 to rent a home?

Asked by Tyeshia Coleman, Boston, MA Tue Apr 17, 2012

I wish to find a home for rent using my section 8 certificate if any available for rent.
I am looking to rent as soon as possible.

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Boston

Answers

5
Yes you can as long your rent is in your allocated amount. You also have to see the difference amount for utilities included vs not included.

My husband and i are looking to rent a single home in the West Revere, Mass. area, with 1 bdrm. We have a section 8 voucher. Orient Heights East Boston, Mass. is ok also. This would be within 2 months from now. Could someone please help us?
I would just look for a rental. The way you pay the rent is something to be discussed after you find a place the meets your criteria.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
My understanding of Section 8 is that nobody can discriminate against you using the voucher. Many times prospective tenants contact me and ask if my apartment building "accepts" Section 8. That should not be a question you need to ask. Landlords can turn you down for bad credit or attempting to rent too expensive of a home based upon your section 8 amount. Some landlords use 50% ratios for how much of your total income is used towards your rent. Therefore, if you have a $1000 income per month from Section 8, you likely would be able to afford a $500 apartment. Good luck.
Yes Henry, I guess I agree. The housing authority determines that the tenants portion of the rent will not exceed 40% of their income. The difference between the housing authority's max subsidy payment for the apartment and the tenant's portion of the housing costs cannot be more than 10% of household income. For an example, Boston-Quincy region is $1166 for a 1 BR.
Flag Tue Apr 17, 2012
Actually income shouldn't be a factor, it's more like what the voucher will cover. If the landlord is asking for more than what the voucher/Section 8 allows, then you may get turned down. Section 8 factors in the income of the tenant in determining what they will pay and what the tenant will pay.
Flag Tue Apr 17, 2012
Your case manager should be able to provide information on how to use your Section 8. Some landlords are very willing to accept Section 8 tenants; others aren't. But first, find out what you CAN do. Then, working within those limits, search for properties that accept Section 8.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA