For Rent in Portage Park>Question Details

Kathleen Mch…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

How can I rent my second floor attic apt I have had some not so nice renter's in the past?

Asked by Kathleen Mchugh, Chicago, IL Sun Oct 14, 2012

Answers

9
Christopher Pagli’s answer
I would recommend screening the prospective tenants a bit more before committing. You should have a standard application that you give everybody. It should include social security number, references from past landlord and employer (no friend or family references), and meet them in person for an interview. Unfortunately people can change and may put on a show to get the apt but do as much research on them as you can.

Chris
You can advertise it yourself and rent it out or hire an agent to help you out. Make sure you do your due diligence on the potential renters before hand.
I'm looking for something, just wondering where it is located?
Verify Employment
Obtain Credit Report
Conduct Background Check
Ask for 1.5-2 month's Security Deposit
Work with a Realtor.
One option to consider is placing a wicker rocking chair in the front window with a mannequin it it. Just have one dim light on by the chair and take the prospective tenant up there. If they aren't scared, you might want to move on to the next prospective tenant.

Here's the solution to not getting bad renters...do a better job in placing your ads, cleaning your apartment, and asking the right questions of prospective tenants. Every time I have an apartment for rent in my building I can't believe how many amazing prospects I meet. Chicago is full of wonderful people who make great tenants. But avoid these key landlord mistakes:

Don't try to get the most rent possible in your area.
Make sure you get rid of nasty carpet, curtains, and really, just anything one who isn't nasty might consider nasty. You might have to ask a non-nasty person's assistance here.
Write ads in such a way as to discourage those most likely to be 'bad' tenants.
Live on-site
Don't have an apartment that has no locational value
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
with some magic beans and a GOP vote
Be a little more picky with the applications you get. Get a credit report. Check references.

Where is your rental property located?

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Group Founder

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
Just put it on the market. You can rent it out on your own by advertising it online or you can hire a professional.