For Rent in 11201>Question Details

Nadia andre, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

How can I get an affordable apartment in NYC (Under $1000)?

Asked by Nadia andre, Brooklyn, NY Tue Jul 29, 2014

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in 11201

Answers

2
Keep a very open mind and do a lot of looking, and check the records of every house that you are taken to before anyone gets your money.
I am afraid their are not that many, especially for anything bigger than a studio.
Those that you may find are often not legal apartments, or cons, so be carful who you give your money to.
On the search engines just log in for your search Brooklyn, NY and for rent up to $1,000. Or Queens and again up to $1,000 or Bronx etc
Then only look at or call the apartments that have been listed less than a week and close to subways, if you need the subway. Once you have the address; look it up on http://www.NYC.Gov/HPD to see who is listed as the managing agent, be sure to speak to someone in their office or their licensed Broker. All Brokers have a license that looks similar to a drivers license with a photo.
Most of the better apartments in the price range will be a distance from Manhattan, but can be very nice apartments in great neighborhoods.
One of my workers just found a lovely large one bedroom near the Euclid Ave A/C express stop. She thought she would live there to save money to buy a co-op in Fort Greene, now she is thinking she will buy a house out there!
Craigslist would be your best bet.