For Rent in Cambridge>Question Details

kailoni, Renter in Vancouver, WA

Home for two adults with two large dogs in Cambridge/Boston area for around $800. Is this possible?

Asked by kailoni, Vancouver, WA Wed Sep 18, 2013

My husband and I are looking for a house to rent. We have two large dogs, so I know that will be a little bit of a problem for a lot of landlords. We aren't terribly concerned with size, 1 bedroom/1 bathroom would work well for us. We will both be going to school with low paying part-time jobs, so we need something close to $800 a month. Is this going to be at all feasible?

Answers

8
No. It would be impossible to even get a studio apartment for that amount. Is $800 a high rent where you come from?
Is this $800 per person or $800 total? The lowest priced one beds in Cambridge this year was 1600-1700. If its $800 total then you'll need to adjust your location.

Dogs are another story. There are some breeds that are restricted because of insurance. You may need to negotiate with a landlord for the pet allowance and perhaps pay an additional month premium or a security deposit.
It would even be tough in the outlying cities to find a home for that price. I would say you should budget $2000 for a studio/ 1 br in a safe neighborhood near Boston. The commuter rails are a good place to start to look for cities outside of boston. But again your budget for a safe neighborhood even along the commuter rails will start at $1000. I'm not saying they don't exist... but maybe you will have more luck looking through your schools- you can get in student housing or put up flyers there. Good luck!
You have gotten some good answers already, although probably a bit disheartening I am sure. I am not sure what school or schools you may be attending, but looking outside of the city may be your best bet, although even then you may find that budget difficult to work with. Have you thought about getting a roommate and a 2 bedroom?
It is not possible to find what you are looking for. It will be difficult even in the $2,000 range.
I honestly do not know of any rental situation for $800 in Cambridge. There may be areas of Boston that may support that budget but it will be extremely tough find. Sounds like this is more of a roommate/housemate type of situation.
Hello Kailoni

No sense beating about the bush. You are unlikely to find what you are looking for in Boston, Cambridge or Somerville for what you are prepared to spend. My best suggestion would be to look at a more outlying area, and if your campus is accessible to public transportation, to use one of the MBTA commuter trains to access school. It will mean budgeting time to accomplish your commute, but with some planning it should be possible. I would suggest either the Lowell or Haverhill lines which commute to North Station, or the Worcester Line which goes to South Station (which in turn connects to the Red Line). Here's a link to the map and schedules. http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/

I feel fairly certain about the information I'm giving you, as a young friend of ours, just starting off, has been looking for a rental for $800/month. He has been finding shared apartments (with room mates) and the occasional basement studio -- not altogether a satisfying result so far.

I wish you the best in your search. Try some of the areas 25-45 minutes from Boston by rail, and I would think you'd do better. If the school you will be going to is not accessible to public transportation, it may have a shuttle service to the nearest subway or rail station, as many campuses do. If all else fails, you may have no choice but to endure a commute of a half hour or more.
I would also like to add that we would really need a safe neighborhood, we're from Vancouver, WA, we're pretty sheltered.