As everyone else stated, you are best to try to negotiate this with your landlord but if you are more than a month behind he/she probably has valid concerns on your ability to get fully caught up. It would definately be best to try to give the landlord some money now. If the landlord takes any money from you now then the landlord has to start all over with a new 3 day notice.
I recommend letting the homeowner know or the management company when you will be able to pay. They can hold off on submitting that paperwork to the court and slightly delay the eviction process.
To add some info for you, if you do NOT respond to the 5 day summons, another set of paperwork is signed which includes a final judgment of default and a writ of possession. After a few days and a judges signature, the sheriffs office will be notified and paid and they can serve the writ of possession (Eviction).
Please don't use this to delay the process any longer on paying rent. I'm sure it's tough these days on BOTH parties needing the cash. Let the homeowner or prop. manager know exactly what's going on and how you plan to resolve the issue.
Best of Luck!