For Rent in Seattle>Question Details

jaimee, Renter in Seattle, WA

Hello. I am relocating to Seattle, WA from Cleveland, OH in two weeks with my fiance and pets. Help!!

Asked by jaimee, Seattle, WA Fri Aug 17, 2012

My fiance was just accepted into a graduate program at UW, and we need to find an apartment ASAP. We have had no luck on craigslist. Everything has had carpet, 1/2 stoves in kitchens, was too small, or had a two pet max. I have four!!! We have a german shephard/husky, boston terrier/pug, and two cats. They are all extremely well behaved, and great pets. So... We are looking for an apartment with (preferably) hardwood floors, is at least 600 sq feet, and allows pets with no max (don't worry, I'm not getting anymore)! We've been searching in the Capitol Hill/ First Hill area, and maybe University district and other surrounding neighborhoods. I am a pastry chef and coffee enthusiast, so I'd love to be around a lot of bakeries/ cafes. I have a negotiable budget, but I'm not trying to pay an arm and a leg. My wants aren't mandatory, but they would be nice. Can anyone help!?!?!?!

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Seattle

Answers

8
Email me at martinssmith85@gmail.com and everything will be solved.
I am happy to see you posted for help..I know you and Josh are great people and will be excellent tenants for somebody in Seattle. I hope someone will help you with your transition as I wish I could. You and your furry family come highly recommended : )
I have a list of alternatives to Craig's List (which is no longer my favorite resource, there's too much trash and scamming going on).
Email me though my contact page on my website.
Web Reference: http://www.nwhome.us
Often landlords can be swayed, if a tenant is properly "sold" with a personal story and photos of the pets. If you can get a pet reference letter now from your current landlord, it can be submitted in advance via email and often it is negotiated, but you're going to pay big bucks, trust me. I help people relo from out of state to this area with rentals. I also have 4 pets, which I worry about if I lose my house or sometihng where am I going to leave? It takes time, you may need to be in a hotel or extended stay until something turns up.

I did a preliminary search and these rentals either accept pets or say "Subject to restrictions", which means most likely yes but the owner wants to know specific information before allowing the pet. If you want more specific help, or have more questions, you're welcome to contact me.

Keep in mind the rental market is ridiculous right now - prices are a lot higher than a mortgage payment and often rent in under a week. You may need to decide you will rent a place sight unseen for now. You can apply online for most rentals. I can also tour and send a video of a place - but only after the pets are approved via email. Remember, wherever you end up it is just temporary, for a year. You can always move again next yeat and be able to spend more time shopping in person. If you have this mindset it makes it a lot easier to decide on a place and have something in contract before you arrive.

Take a look at these rentals - this is the best you can do right now for distance and price. The pets are heart-wrenching, I know. I considered a move to West LA and did a lot of research online and was able to find a place that didn't care how many pets i had as long as I paid all the money (and it was a lot). But it definitely was limiting - you are blocked from about 80% of available rentals by property owners who have been burned in the past by irresponsible pet owners. A few bad apples ruined it for the rest of us.

http://www.matrix.nwmls.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?k=1876…
Thank you so much for the advice on my post. It breaks my heart that past people have ruined things for us pet owners. I have photos of my pets, and my current landlord has said he'd write me a great recommendation! I'm pretty aware I'm going to pay a bunch for them, but it's worth it. They are my world! Thank you so much for the link. i'm checking it out now.
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012
Lots of people in Seattle have multiple pets and four is a reasonable number. I once had a Husky/Samoyed and she was a great house pet. If you are looking to relocate near to the UW and have some room to roam, try a house. There are plenty of great rentals available now in Northeast Seattle.Most everyone has pets in this area. There is also a great dog park at Magnuson Beach I am sure your pups will love. I would love to help you.
I agree with Ray on the property management specialist front. Not only will it be near impossible to find an apartment that will allow you to house 4 pets, there's also a black-list of restricted breeds that most apartments in the Seattle area need to follow and unfortunately for your four legged Sheperd/Husky friend they'd be on there.

I also think that you should consider a house. Typically in your type of situation the best deals are found in ones own network of people they know. In your case this is likely unlikely which is why a property management company would be the way to go. You'd probably need to count on making a pretty hefty deposit due to all the pets as well though.

If you want to message me privately I can give you some great property management contacts around here.

Wish you the best!
you might mention the price range per month you have in mind as this will give soem people better ideas of what to suggest ... ( seattle is moroe pricey than ohio ...found that out when we moved here from Columbus)
woops. I didn't mean for that too post 4 times. Sorry!!!
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012
I am open, but I really would like my maximum price to be around $1400. Thank you for your response!
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012
You need a specialist ----a property management specialist, that is. With four pets, you need to locate a sympathetic landlord. If your budget is flexible, then I recommend searching for a house versus an apartment. Near to Capitol Hill; try the Madison Valley, Madrona, or Central Area. You could also try Fremont, Ballard, and Wallingford which are west of the University District. All these areas offer more rental houses rather than apartments. Good luck!
Seattle is a really cool 'dog' city, with some great dog parks. A pet-loving landlord ---and a healthy damage deposit--- should help you find a house. Good luck!
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012
Thank you so much for the response! I am going to look into houses now, and scope out those areas!
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012