For Rent in Oakland>Question Details

Ane Howard, Renter in San Francisco, CA

HOW DO I REPORT A LISTING FROM A SCAMMER?

Asked by Ane Howard, San Francisco, CA Wed Jun 27, 2012

0 votes Share Flag For Rent in Oakland

Answers

4
I have been hearing about a new service that will be free to renters where they can check to see if the house is in foreclosure and/or validate who the owner is. Have you heard about this service yet?
Sadly, it is all too common (particularly on CL). Typically, the 'scammer' is not a licensed Realtor so the Dept of RE will not be able to help. The Dept of Homeland Security actually has a department for internet crimes.

As others mentioned, report it to Trulia (thankfully, I've not had a scammed listing on Trulia - thank you Trulia) if appropriate.

I have also 'outed' scammers before on CL by posting follow up ads informing all that the property is leased/sold and to be wary of other postings. It is frustrating and sad that there is very little we can do to stop the scam listings or catch the scammer.

I'm sorry you have experienced this, best of luck!

Baidra
DRE 01216142
Ellen is totally right, please email us the listing so that we can take a look and if necessary, make the appropriate changes.

Please email us customerservice@trulia.com

Thank you so much, let me know if I can help with anything else,

Ali, Community Manager
Ane, can you elaborate? If this listing is not a legitimate real estate listing and you think there may be some violation of law, then I would contact The Department of Real Estate, the agency that oversees real estate agents, brokers and the industry. http://www.dre.ca.org there are local offices in SF, Oakland etc. Easy to locate.

If this is a spammer via Trulia you are talking about? I would contact Trulia directly as none of us who are on here answering questions really can do anything. We are individual agents and consumers ion the Trulia site, engaging in dialogue, questions and answers etc. about real estate.

Definately let Trulia know if this is the issue.. but if it is something unethical/illegal regarding a real estate listing, please contact the DRE.