For Rent in Sacramento>Question Details

Muchelle Kral, Renter in 95822

Eviction troubles....

Asked by Muchelle Kral, 95822 Wed Aug 8, 2012

i have an eviction 4years ago and cant get anyone to give me a chance. Im a single mother needing a place to call home any ideas?

Answers

6
I am also a landlord. My first tenant was someone with terrible credit. He is still the best tenant I've every had. What he did is come forward with all the details about his situation, why he had the credit situation. He also came with his credit report in hand to point out what his full situation was. Through his sincerity, and the fact that he gave me extra deposit money, he gained my trust.

So, the best thing is to have a good, true story about your situation and demonstrate why it will not happen, again. I think the limit of allowable deposit is two month's rent. You should offer that, up front, if you can. Or, offer to build up to that by adding to your rent for the next few months. If you show you are willing to invest in your story, financially, you'll gain more credibility with potential landlords.

Another thing to do would be try to go for rental ads from individuals. Property Management companies are less likely to take a risk since they have to answer to the owners.

I guess the question is why do you have an eviction in the first place? Considering that this is one of the most lenient states for tenancy rights, there are many who abuse their lease and do not get a final eviction because of the difficulty in a landlord obtaining one. More often they find another way to sever the occupancy, by other means, at great expense to the landlord, so an eviction doesn't even reflect on many tenant's reports.

The facts are that you need a place to live, and have evidence of not being a good tenant before. So the question is- how to overcome that? Why would a landlord want to take a risk renting to you when it could happen again?

Those are the hard questions that you need to overcome.As the others have said, you need to be upfront about the previous situation and be able to demonstrate how that will not happen again. The law allows that a landlord can ask for up to two months rent up front. While it provides a little financial security, it isn't much. Prepare for the conversation, find a landlord or property manager willing to listen to your assurances, and hopefully one will agree.

This may sound harsh but it's reality. Provide assurances to the landlord to minimize their risk and I'm sure you can get someone to agree to give you a chance. Good luck and stay strong.
Great info "Mr" Ed. :)

Keisha Mathews, REALTOR®
CDPE®, HRC®, HAFA® Certified
The Short Sale Lady(sm)
Century 21 Landmark Network
(916) 370-1803 cell/direct
(916) 405-3886 fax
keisha.mathews@century21.com http://www.SheSoldItForMe.com
lic#: 01439130
Miss Muchelle...

I'm going to chime in here with Jim and Ron... but I'm going to disagree with part of their posts...

I wouldn't rule out looking for a rental managed by professional property management companies because I have rented to folks just like you in the same circumstance.

Not all Property Management companies will listen to you, but as said before be prepared to pay a double deposit and be up front with the leasing agent or property manager.

Have you established some good credit...? do you have a bank account...? do you have a job you've been on for longer than a year or some kind of "stable income" stream...? do you have a recent "rental history'" that you can prove..?

The folks I can't work with are the ones that "work under the table"... can't prove their income by showing me deposits in a bank statement... been living with a roommate but can't prove they paid any rent because they paid in cash... etc...?

for more information go here for some advice: http://bit.ly/O4Vp9v

and if you want to "prequalify" yourself for one of our places go here:

http://edfavinger.com/files/2009/04/Screening-Criteria.pdf

I hope this helps...

Make it a great day....
Hi Muchelle,

That's very frustratng. We all make mistakes, and time usually heals. But sometimes it seems as though the punishment follows us forever.

Have you considered using the tenancy where you have been over the past four years? Even if you have been living with a relative or friend, they should be able to vouch for you with a written letter if you were paying some sort of established rent and were on time.

Some landlords may be willing to accept this form of reference in lieu of an eviction-free credit report.

I would also try dealing directly with the potential landlord versus property management companies. Dealing directly with the landlord will allow the landlord an opportunity to meet you in person and establish a raport with you that may go further than a property management company.

Keisha Mathews, REALTOR®
CDPE®, HRC®, HAFA® Certified
The Short Sale Lady(sm)
Century 21 Landmark Network
(916) 370-1803 cell/direct
(916) 405-3886 fax
lic#: 01439130
There are literally millions of people out there, looking to rent, who have bad credit because of a Forclosure> Think about that; millions!

Your best bet is to find a place that is managed by the owner, not a company.
Go and see the place and talk to the owner, be open and honest. They want a good tenant.

Good luck and may God bless