For Rent in Staten Island>Question Details

nickynjonny, Renter in 10314

Doesn't Anyone rent by owner anymore? We are a great family ! We will not disappoint you ! Contact us please !

Asked by nickynjonny, 10314 Sun Dec 8, 2013

We are former SI residents who relocated to Myrtle Beach for a quieter lifestyle but miss NYC and our family here in SINY . We arrive back in SI next week and are looking for a 2 bedroom in Manor Heights, Meirs Corners, Four Corners, Castleton Corner area. Can be school zoned for P.S 29, P.S 30 Or P.S 54. We have excellent landlord references, great character references from our home church on the island. Our family has been on the island for over 35 years now. We are aiming for 1200 to 1400 max. We do not have pets. Non smokers.Quiet family. Great tenants. I am not sure if this site has any " by owner" listings but that is what we are insterested in. A nice clean, quiet place to live. No Brokers or Realtors Please. Just looking for someone to give us a chance, you will not regret it, you can check all our references before hand. We are really a great, great family. Thank You........If you have anything available please contact us. Thank You. Jon & Heather ~

Answers

5
Hello Jon & Heather, Unfortunately Trulia is not the best place for you to search. Try Craigslist for rentals by owners. I hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy the Holidays. If you need help give me a call. 718 689-3850
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Thank You Gary, we tried Craigslist by owner and thats how we ended up without an apartment unfortunately. Most of Craigslist in the area we are seeking are also apartments being handled by a realty or broker. Its just so difficult. In other states people just rent to you because they think you are a great tenant, I guess thats because in those states if someone defaults on their rent they can have them evicted within an month and in NYC realtors tell me that it can take months to get rid of a non rent paying tenant. Shame we all have to pay the price for a few rotten apples. Thank You anyway and Happy Holidays
Flag Sun Dec 8, 2013
Check local print media for by owner rentals, always verify ownership before exchanging any money; word of mouth, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Yes, if you do a search on the Internet you will find several Rent by Owner web sites. There are also ads in the local newspapers and Craigslist. You can try http://www.vrbo.com.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
http://www.tammyhayes.remaxagent.com/
Hi

Thank you Tammy, trust me we have tried. If you websearch for rent " by owner" you come up with Craigslist ( which is the reason we do not have an apartment right now , we came here expecting to move right into one) , Trulia, Zillow, Street Easy and all are by realty. Our SI Advance is limited, most are realty and the rest either do not want children or do not want self employed people. I lived in Florida and rented a beautiful house , the landlord loved us on the spot. I lived in Myrtle Beach and lived in a beautiful duplex in a lovely community , the management embraced us with out a problem. They did not want us to leave and gave us a letter of recommendation. Unfortunately my grandfather is ill in NY and we need to be near my family. I have worked for myself or my parents company for 10 years now. I do not understand why its so hard for us to find a place now. Thank You for your advice. Happy Holidays
Flag Wed Dec 11, 2013
Just curious why you are so adverse to working with an agent?

You seem to have a situation where time is of the essence............not sure how you already placed your children in a school district if you don't have a signed lease showing residency...........but.............your resistance to using an agent is puzzling to me............unless it is simply a financial reason ( know that some landlords may pay the commission, or at least split it).
But...........if you're moving back next week, you might have to compromise a bit.

Best wishes............you also might want to check out Zillow.com, too

ps...........be careful of craigslist and other listings that sound too good to be true , or if anyone asks you to wire money to them for the keys (and aren't available to show you the home in person).....lots of scammers out there, so you need to be alert!
Others do not want self employed people. I have worked for myself when out of NY and for my parents when in NY for ten years and my landlord references are excellent. My rent is always paid on time.My wife does Ecommerce , we have rented homes in Florida and Myrtle beach, lovely homes and I never had a problem finding a landlord . I have great references but that does not seem to be good enough. Its tough but we have faith......somewhere out there someone will open their doors to us and will not regret it. Even my former landlord cannot believe the trouble we are having. He said alot of landlords he knows are opting for government programs because they pay them extra to rent. I am a hardworking American , raised to work for what you have and to aspire for the American Dream so I guess in this day and age , that must no longer matter.Anyway Thank you for your time.
Flag Wed Dec 11, 2013
To be honest we arrived the day before Thanksgiving ( as per my posting which is not that recent) and the realtor fee was not one we were expecting and would put a huge dent in our budget right now. We are staying with my parents and the school districts do accept a letter from the home owner . I am a former SI resident and my siblings attended the school and they are aware of the situation. Now we need to find a place within that district is another problem. The realtors in our area are requesting the full fee equivalent to the first months rent and some want two months security. We have checked out zillow and again most are agents. Right now there are 4 nice 2 bedrooms vacant in our area and all under realty agreements. Breaks my heart everytime we drive past one of them , I even knocked on one of the doors, nice family but their daughter wants a tenant via realty. We just cannot seem to win.
Flag Wed Dec 11, 2013
Hello Nicky & Johnny,

I am Licensed Real Estate Salesperson and I have a listing in near Tysens Lane. Please note that the owner will pay for my fee. You need to have good credit and be employed. Call me or email me to discuss. Please note that I am a resident Staten Island.

Ivan Cardona
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty...The Smart Brokers
127 E 56th Street
New York, New York 10022
P. 646-338-5576
icardona@rutenbergrealtyny.com
Hi
Thank You anyway but we already placed our children in a certain school district and that is way too far away. Thank You anyway for reaching out. Much appreciated.
Flag Tue Dec 10, 2013