Financing in Beaumont>Question Details

Jackie, Home Buyer in Beaumont, TX

is there any agnecy that will help buy a home, my credit scores are low, but i have a disable son living with me?

Asked by Jackie, Beaumont, TX Thu Mar 29, 2012

i am trying hard to get my scores up

Answers

1
Hi Jackie,

NACA (Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America), a non-profit, is among the best and better known national programs that could be of assistance. They offer mortgages at below market rates (its 3.75% today) for first time homebuyers regardless of credit score.

The program will take some time, depending on your financial situation. Generally, you will need to have some sort of savings (lets just say $4,000 as an example). After sitting with one of the counselors, you will have a better idea of when you will qualify (it may happen within weeks or may take some time depending on how your bills and overall budget match up with its lending criteria).

They do not charge a single dime for the loan. You will, however, need to become a member (at $20/year annual membership) and sign a statement promising to volunteer at least 5 times per year (it could be as simple as registering people to vote) should you close on a mortgage through their agency.

You're going to save more money by going through this route as opposed to an FHA loan with any for profit lender. FHA mortgage insurance is going up once again. Through NACA you will be only be charged $50/month for 5 years, whereas with an FHA loan through a local lender, you will have to pay close to 2 percent of the mortgage towards FHA mortgage insurance. Its a big cost that you could avoid by taking the NACA route.

check out the website: http://www.naca.com and see if you can find a workshop in your area.

Texas Home Programs @ texashomeprograms.org looks like a very good resource as well. I went on their site and found a program right in Beaumont that offers down payment and closing cost assistance.

I hope this helps. Good Luck on the house hunt.

Please thumbs up if you found this helpful.