Financing in Lewisville>Question Details

Stephanie, Home Buyer in Tyler, TX

is there Away I can build a house in my back yard?? I do have land (acres) and dont live in city limits

Asked by Stephanie, Tyler, TX Wed Feb 2, 2011

Im wanting to purchase a house and dont know if its better to purchase or instead make one my self?? I do have land and Do not live in city limits.

Help the community by answering this question:


Building an addition, or even an entire home is a task that not many are designed by nature to do.
First, you need to look into your own motivation and capabilities to see if truly you can build.
Second, look at the resources available at hand. Such as money, tools and supplies.
Third, draft out a plan, ask for assistance to build from family and friends.
Fourth, the easiest way, hire a contractor.
Good Luck on your project
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 13, 2013
You need to contact your county building officials to check their requirements.
In the past if you lived outside the city limits you were more free to do what you wanted, but
this has changed over the past few years. Many counties now have implemented building codes
and many other restrictions.

Good luck.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 2, 2011
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Be sure to contact your city/county officials and see what is required. Be sure to ask for requirements in writing to be sure of what you can and can't do before you start spending money.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 2, 2011
It seems like you should be able to develop your property, but as others have mentioned, you will want to be sure to permit all development with Smith County (around Tyler) or Denton County (around Lewisville). You can contact Smith County at (903) 590-2600, Denton County at (940) 349-2990. Ask for planning and zoning or development and they should be able to assist you with the process.

Good luck!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 2, 2011
Stepanie you need to find out who does zoning in your area.
I had a client that wanted to purchase a 20 acre parcel that had limited frontage. They wanted to build a seperate home on 5 acres for their duaghter. The county was ok with it but the township required 200 ft frontage on any parcel split. There was not enough frontage to retain 200 ft for the original parcel and 200 ft to the split parcel.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 2, 2011
You are going to have to check with the Planning and Zoning Board in your county to see what the restrictions are for improving on your property
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 2, 2011
You would still need to contact the city / county for permits to build .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 2, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer