Financing in Santa Clara>Question Details

Hollie, Home Buyer in Tracy, CA

evicton & crime records

Asked by Hollie, Tracy, CA Mon Mar 15, 2010

Can I find evicton & crime records in a free credit report(like

When you compare what you paid for the rental property vs. the $25 for the report, things become a little clearer as to what action you should take to protect yourself.

Each money-saving suggestion you get could cost you dearly down the road. Doing it right the first time to protect your liability is what you should be concentrating on.

I wouldn't trust any 'free' system for credit reporting. How will you ever know how thorough their records are? You're getting a free report; that could be what it is really worth. Now that you are a landlord, perhaps you might want to consider becoming a member of the California Apartment Association. I use their screening and credit reporting services for new tenants. They also will keep you up to date on any changes in landlord tenant law and have a library of forms that are are up to date with current California statutes.

And your support for CAA means they can lobby for you and other landlords in Sacramento to balance out that tenant rights issue that Andrea mentioned earlier. Hopefully you are providing Megan's Law, Lead Paint, and a few other mandatory disclosures with your lease agreements as well. Not doing so could also be very expensive.

Mark Burns
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 15, 2010
Glen, thank you very much. I will check credit by myself next time.
I have never directly compared the credit history. I have just seen huge differences in the credit scores which in my mind makes the free report worthless. So if someone hands me one of the free reports now I'm polite about it and say, "oh great, just so you know if we accept your application I will have to run my own credit report." I'm not currently a member of CAA and I really don't think you would need to join twice. Just to be on the safe side call them first and tell them what you need in terms of credit reports and I'm sure they would be happy to explain how ther service works and what you would need to do.

Thanks Glen.

How about the credit history? Is that the same as the real one?

The member fee for CAA is around $200. It's not necessary for joining two counties, is it?

BTW, I don't think we can find eviction & crime records in a regular credit report, am I right?
The free stuff I have seen may have some useful info in it, but it isn't complete and in comparing to paid info it's junk. I had someone give me a free credit report that showed point and they were 100 points higher than the real thing. Yikes, that puts anyone in a slightly different category. As a landlord there are certain costs you don't want to avoid. It's a write off, if you need to join multiple counties then it's in your favor to do so. Hope you get good tenants.

Thanks for your advice.

For CAA, if we have rental properties in two counties, which one we should join?
Thank you all.

I do have the potential tenants to sign the application form. But sometimes they don't want to pay $25 for credit check. So I asked them to use to check their credit and I can view it from that website.

I found this one :

The price(Basic Plus Package - $39.95) is similar with

Which one is better? Maybe
Hi Hollie, you can't run someone else's credit report without their permission. You must have a rental application signed by a prospective tenant agreeing to give you permission to run their credit report. Nolo Press has some good forms/rental applications and others alike all over the internet. I recommend that you member National Tenant Network or something similar to that if you choose to be a landlord without hiring a property manager. Tenants have many rights. Landlords have fewer. Don't get into trouble.
you can get a very generic report (not records) from It will not give you the names of the offenders, but it will show you what the crime is like in a particular area.

I don't know of any Free reports that will give you eviction records.

good luck

I don't know of any company offering such information for free, after all most companies are in business to make a profit. As you probably know, there are many websites that provide this service for a fee. However, if it is public record you should be able to contact the local courts and attempt to find the information on your own. Here is the website for Santa Clara, CA superior court.

Main website:

Lookup case data online here:
Web Reference:
No. And looking for that information without the express written permission of the person you are researching is against the law. Sounds like it is time for a professional property management company to help you with your rental.

Mark Burns, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Elite - Top 1.5% Worldwide
member - Tri-County and California Apartment Association
DRE #00896552 licensed since 1985
Web Reference: