Financing in Tucson>Question Details

Ashulski, Home Buyer in Tucson, AZ

can you put one spouse on mortgage only in AZ?

Asked by Ashulski, Tucson, AZ Mon Aug 15, 2011

My husband and I want to purchase a house in AZ, a community property state. Do we both have to apply and be on the mortgage if we are using a VA Loan?

0 votes Share Flag Financing in Tucson

Yes you can just put one spouse on the mortgage in Arizona, and so no, you do not both have to be on the mortgage loan... however since Arizona is a community property state the non-borrowing spouse's credit is still checked. The credit check isn't to determine if they have a good credit score or not, it is used to determine if there are any monthly payments just in that spouse's name, because if there are, then it will be included in the borrowing spouse's debt to income ratio to determine how much they can qualify for. Some lenders will also evaluate the non-borrowing spouse's credit to make sure there aren't any judgments, tax liens, or recent foreclosures or short sales - those lenders are in the minority though. If you have further questions please let me know.

Shane Milne | Loan Officer in Orange County, CA | NMLS #81195
Direct local #'s: 949-273-4161 or 646-257-4842
Lending in all 50 states, all types of mortgages
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 21, 2011
As a general rule only one has to be on the title, but the other spouse will have to sign a spousal waiver at closing. Also all community debt will be counted against the lone spouse so the income has to be there to support the loan. Talk to a good loan officer and they will steer you in the right direction. Good luck and if you need anything else, get in contact. Happy New Year.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
Why are you asking, for credit purposes? I would recommend talking with a local lender (I highly recommend Paul Volpe at Nova Home Loans) and see what they can do. Even though we are a community property state, as far as I know, both husband and wife credit scores are checked when buying a property.

Talk with a lender, it is a free conversation to have and in this market, getting pre-approved should be the first thing a person does.

Best of luck.
USDA guidelines follow the same community property laws that VA & FHA do. VA would certainly be a better option than USDA in my opinion as the funding fee is lower than USDA's, and the loan isn't reviewed by VA at the very end (like USDA's are) which elongates the amount of time needed for USDA financing. If VA wasn't an option, then USDA would be a better option than FHA, but VA > USDA > FHA in my opinion.
Depending on where you are purchasing, you may be able to utilize a USDA loan in which case, only one spouse's credit is needed, as long as the income supports the loan.

The USDA program is only available in rural or designated areas. If you're purchasing in a larger city, the USDA loan is probably not available. Marana may be eligible or if you're in another smaller part of the Tucson area, you may be able to use a USDA loan which is also a 100% loan to value product, meaning no down payment if that's what you're looking for.

Let me know if you'd like a contact for more information on available loan products utilizing only one spouse in Arizona.