Financing in Los Angeles>Question Details

Pearl, Home Buyer in 90290

a lender is seeting me up with an outside credit repair person, another atty to negotiate my trust, even

Asked by Pearl, 90290 Sun Jul 5, 2009

though he already advised me how to improve my credit and I already have an atty. Does this sound scammy?

Answers

1
The answer to your general question is yes...but I am not sure if I would call it scammy, or more likely unnecessary. Credit repair people are typically unnecessary, as there is not much that can be "fixed" on a credit report besides errors. The only thing that will improve your score is time...meaning the more time that passes between the date of your late payment, collection, or whatever hurt your credit, the more your score improves (assuming you are paying all of your bills on time).

With that being said, if you have some legitimate errors on your credit report that are significantly effecting your score, and you have tried without success to fix these errors on your own, then an attorney might be necessary. Maybe you should check with your own attorney first before hiring someone else.

Julie Thall
jthall@rpm-mtg.com