Financing in Somerville>Question Details

Sarah Zimmem…, Other/Just Looking in Somerville, MA

< 2yrs Documented Work Experience

Asked by Sarah Zimmemrann, Somerville, MA Mon Aug 30, 2010

My fiance and I both have well paying engineering jobs and are looking at purchasing a multi-family. We have the ability to put 30 or 40% down on a house but we will need a mortgage for the remainder. The problem is, we both just graduated 6 months ago. We both have 3-4 summers of internship experience and I have 3 semesters of on campus job experience. My fiance was self-employed in high school, owning a computer repair business maintaining local businesses computer systems. Would this kind of work qualify us for 2 years work experience?

Answers

5
As long as your degree was in the field that you currently work in you will be fine. For example: I have a similiar situation where some one got an accoutning degree this past December and has been a CPA for 6 months, while in college he worked here and there in the company and for internships making minimal money, but it counted as the experience and the 2 year history. If you have more quesitons please feel free to contact me (508) 864-6064
Hello Sarah:

I'm currently listing a three family in Somerville that has a truly unique floor plan with tremendous potential. MLS list number is 71113782...check it out on my web site or call me and I'll show it to you. I can hook you up with some local lenders.

Damian
Not knowing your overall finnaces--You can start by visiting with any qualified loan officer(s), see if you do qualify for a loan and how much, then go from there--your loan officer will best advise based on your financial picture.
Find a local bank! Many of them would be more likely to look at your potential, and not just your current situation.
Sarah,

You should be ok because you recently graduated. The time in school will count toward the 2 year requirement. Having been on your jobs for six months is a big plus. As long as your employment is stable you should be able to get a pre-approval. I am working with another buyer in Somerville and have been through most of the multi-units on the market now. I can also recommend some really good lenders to contact. I previously owned a mortgage company and specialize in multi-unit buildings. If I can be of any help let me know.

Best of luck,

Eric