Financing in Bedford>Question Details

House Hunter, Home Buyer in Fort Worth, TX

Where do I find out about rent restriction (?) / or subsidies for someone who does not make enough money to

Asked by House Hunter, Fort Worth, TX Sun Apr 6, 2008

qualify for an apartment. She is employed, just does not make enough.

Help the community by answering this question:


Bruce Lynn’s answer
You can try the "Housing Authority" of the city or county where you live. I'd be surprised if Bedford has one, but Tarrant County definately does. Dallas County does. Here are some organizations in the area that might help. Just put them in a google search and I'm sure they'll take you to the right websites.

Dallas County Health & Human Services (Dallas County)
Dallas Housing Authority (City of Dallas)
Housing Choice Vouchers [formerly Section 8] (US Dept. of Housing & Urban Development)
Housing Crisis Center/ Dallas Tenants Association (Nonprofit)
Housing Department (City of Dallas)
Legal Aid of Northwest Texas (Nonprofit)
Rental Help (US Dept. of Housing & Urban Development)
Renter's Kit (US Dept. of Housing & Urban Development)
Texas Tenants Union (Nonprofit)
Texas Low Income Housing Information Service (Nonprofit)
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 9, 2008
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Section 8 is still the term that you will want to use when you are looking for subsidies. Caritas of Austin helps local families pay their utility bills when they fall on hard times. Section 8 will allow some mothers to work and still provide assistance depending on the AMI and the number of people in her household.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 7, 2008
You can contact that local city direct or visit the city website. You will locate the office there. However in many instances it can take up too 3 - 4 years to receive any city/government assistance.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 6, 2008
If that is the case check with the school she is attending. I know some schools do offer assistance to some students and if the housing meets the standards. Just check with the housing of that school.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 6, 2008
I have heard of Section 8, but I don't think that was what I was looking for. She is a student, not on welfare. Just does not make enough money. I had heard there were some Apt's that helped pay utilities. Maybe I was just misinformed.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 6, 2008
Yes you are generally referring to section 8 housing. They are government subsidized. Sandy has the correct website for you. Section 8 housing is monitered and governed by the US Department of Housing. You might want to get a copy of the guidelines first to make sure of what you are getting into.

Larry Story
Coldwell Banker Triad
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 6, 2008
You may find the information you are looking for at US Dept of Housing & Urban Development Wesite

Good luck to you,
Sandy Shores
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 6, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer