Financing in Charlotte>Question Details

Trulia Charl…, Other/Just Looking in Charlotte, NC

When is it better to shop around than to stick with your bank?

Asked by Trulia Charlotte, Charlotte, NC Tue Apr 9, 2013

Answers

4
I called around bank to bank to bank when I bought my first house, but with my current house, I actually used Fairway Independent Mortgage in Monroe, NC. Basically they do the legwork for you to find a good rate much like an insurance broker. I was really happy with them. The guy I worked with is named Dan.
It is always better to shop around. Rarely will your bank give you the best rate or loan package.
Web Reference: http://www.jonnyagent.com
Good afternoon:
If is best to compare APR's and financing scenarios based on your personal finances and what is important to you. If you get a terrific rate,but have to bring more to the closing than you have in the bank, that obviously won't work. If you pay a higher interest rate with one lender than you would with another, but they are giving you a lender credit or are helping you get a 4 to 1 matching grant for your down payment, then they are probably best. We recommend different lenders for different clients based on their specific needs, . If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
All the time.

At least get competing quotes.

One caveat: Beware of online lenders. Some are good. Some aren't. But there's often less accountability than if the lender is down the block and you can physically visit.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA