Financing in 19335>Question Details

Jessica, Home Buyer in 19330

What is the benefit of having your lender/bank rep at closing?

Asked by Jessica, 19330 Wed Nov 9, 2011

I can see having an agent co to closing (to be held at tltle company), but why rep from bank?

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 19335

Answers

6
I cannot determine if any of the other persons that answered were from my industry (mortgage lending) but can absolutely attest to the benefit of having the mortgage lender (be it a direct bank like myslef or a mortgage broker) physically present at closing.

In my 12+ years in this business, I have salvaged many closings by picking up the phone from closing and calling the correct party within the lender (meaning I am not put on hold, making both Realtors, all buyers and sellers, attorneys, title agent, builder rep, etc wait).
Wire confirmation, receipt of the signed documents by the lender's closer, etc are all scenarios that have occured to ensure a smooth and timely closing. Some other customer service adds that I provide at closing are:

Explanation of auto-pay (setting it up, advising on best practices, etc)
Escrow (setup, analysis, who gets paid what, how to forward bills, etc)
How to contact the lender (in my case, they always call me first)
Where and how you can pay your bill

TRANSVERSELY, I have heard many, many stories of internet brokers with no physical presence where there is an issue with the closing and it sometimes requires the entire closing to be rescheduled.

Thank you for that question!
Jessica,

As an agent I like the bank/mortgage rep there at closing to explain any discrepancies that may arise, and to explain why there are any delays in funds arriving at the closing. I am always nervous with companies that don't have anyone present as those are usually the settlements where there are issues that arise.
Web Reference: http://www.VandekarTeam.com
Jessica,

It's impossible to predice what type of problems counld be encountered at the closing but the fact remains that they do.... in view of the fact that these last minute challenges are often associated with the funding relative to the closing, it's nice to have an advcate present that can support the transaction.

Hope this is helpful.

bill
The biggest benefit of having the rep. there is to have them available to help solve any problems that arise. Unfortunately problems do arise at the settlement table, it is very helpful having the rep. attend.
They have the right to be there, it is both a right and good customer service. I attend all of my closings, just to be sure everything goes smoothly.
Hello Jessica,
The mortgage representative does not always attend, but it is nice to have them there to go over the mortgage papers with you. All your financing should be discussed and agreed upon before closing, however having them there to answer any specific questions can't hurt. The majority of the papers signed at closing are mortgage related so overall, it could be beneficial to everyone.