Financing in Crestmont>Question Details

Trulia Oakla…, Home Buyer in Bronx, NY

What is "Earnest Money" and how much should one set aside?

Asked by Trulia Oakland, Bronx, NY Mon Apr 22, 2013

Answers

4
Earnest money is a deposit made to show that you are serious about buying the property in question. It is not unusual to to see this amount be $1.

However, the more you put down the seriously your offer will be taken. I am not too sure about the laws in NY so I would tell you to get a good agent to help you, as the rules are not the same in all states. I think in NY it is a lot easier to lose the money than in California.
The amount of money that is going into escrow after a ratified contract. Usually 3% in today's residential market. This is the amount of money the seller "may" keep if you did not close on the property or cancelled the contract for a valid reason, as stipulated in the offer. It shows you are a serious buyer and want to buy the property.
A
Earnest money is usually 1-3% of the purchase price and this is deposited into an escrow account when a purchase contract has been ratified.
Earnest money is the deposit that you submit when your offer is accepted - it is your "Skin in the game". Typically the earnest money is between 1-3% of the purchase price. Putting in less than 3% can make your offer seem weak however it means that more of your money will be tied up. I have some of my own tricks that I use when it comes to earnest money to make your offer seem even more compelling.