Financing in 60629>Question Details

Glo, Home Seller in 60629

What does it mean to recast a loan?

Asked by Glo, 60629 Thu Apr 11, 2013

When is it beneficial?

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 60629

Answers

4
James P. Michaels’ answer
What Is Mortgage Recasting And Why Do It? | Bankrate.com
http://www.bankrate.com/.../what-is-mortgage-recasting-and-why...

by Michele Lerner - More by Michele Lerner
A loan recast results in a smaller balance and lower monthly payment. ... Upon request to recast a loan, we would confirm that the investor of the loan allows ...
Greetings Glo,

Recasting a loan is beneficial when you already have plenty of equity in your home or you plan on making a big lump sum payment. The term and rate on your loan will remain unchanged, but since your principal amount is lower, your monthly payment will be reduced as well. You can ask your lender if they do it and they usually will charge a fee of $250-$300.
Web Reference: http://www.BJDLOANS.com
Glo
I also should have said that you may not need to pay anything upfront. Your lender may be willing to stretch out the loan term to lower your payments.
I would start with whoever has your loan and options available.

Ian.
Glo
Typically what this means is that the borrower pays down some of the principal and the lender them re amortizes the balance hence lowering the monthly payments. I believe it's only done with fixed rate loans but depending on your lender anything is possible. I think it is not allowed on FHA loans. Personally I have never had a client do this. A refi is obviously more common if the loan qualifies.
I hope this helps. You should talk to a qualified mortgage broker to get very specific answers to all your questions.

Best of luck.

Ian.