Financing in Alpharetta>Question Details

zhihao, Home Buyer in Alpharetta, GA

What bank or institution offer home equity LOC to non-resident aliens?

Asked by zhihao, Alpharetta, GA Wed Apr 2, 2014

I am a Canadian. I am trying to get hom equity loan or LOC out of a mortgage free property in Alpheretta. Asked 2 national banks, both denied my application as I'm not a resident. I worked in US briefly a few years ago. My SSN has a good credit score over 700.

Answers

1
The question is, how did you obtain a social security number if you are a Canadian citizen? Were you at one time a US citizen? Another question: Do you have active credit lines on the credit bureau that are currently reporting? Score is only a small part of the approval of a loan. The credit file, as a whole, is more important.

That may be why you are not having any luck. What to do? You may want to try East-West bank. They are a national chain and deal with people with SSN. You'll also need a Visa giving you permission to work in this country.

If that doesn't work, then your next option is to use private or hard money. You'll need a Federal Tax ID number for hard money loans. For private money, you can use the SSN more beneficial than Tax ID). The difference between the two for equity out? Rate, term to pay back, loan amount requirements etc.

If you intend to use the money to buy real estate, it will be much, much easier to obtain money to buy than to borrow money from an existing property. Why? Because the lender/investor doesn't like lending money to a person who is low on funds and is needing to borrow equity from an existing property to have money.

Hard money lender:
Rate: 12% to 18%
Term: Usually 6 months max
Loan limits: Min - $25,000 Max - $100,000,000
Fees at closing: 5-7%
Appraisal: Done by lender
Amount of time to close: 30 days from date of appraisal completed
Commercial/Residential

Private money investor:
Rate: 6% to 12%
Term: Up to 4 years (the ones I use)
Loan limits: Min - $100,000 Max - $4,000,000
Fees at closing: 5% to 7% plus $3500 upon approval (varies by loan)
Appraisal: Done by investor
Amount of time to close: 45 days from date of appraisal completed
Commercial/Residential