Financing in Kirkland>Question Details

tlcalvert, Both Buyer and Seller in Kirkland, WA

Selecting the "right" 203K Contractor

Asked by tlcalvert, Kirkland, WA Tue Feb 25, 2014

I am a fully licensed and insured general contractor. I have been doing home remodels for 18 years including 51 homes I have purchased, remolded and resold.
I would like to know the best way to get my name and information in front of the right people to do work as a 203K Contractor.
Todd Calvert Manager
T L Calvert & Sons LLC

Help the community by answering this question:


Todd, you should reach out to Roger Merrell down in Puyallup. He's been an FHA consultant in this area forever, and will probably be a good resource.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2014
Thank you for the lead.
Flag Thu Mar 6, 2014
Todd, Try going to and do a search for 203k consultants not contractors. If you follow the instructions, your company name can be put on a list for the area you prefer to work in Kirkland or say Auburn (more huds in Auburn) You could also call several of the local firms and ask how to become a vendor. I would offer a get to know you where you speak on how 203k loans work and your expertise. If you paired up with a local lender from say Cobalt or a large mortgage brokerage that could be a great informational.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 25, 2014
Thank you for the reply, I am already receiving Ideas. We will implement each one until we find the right approach. Thank you again. Todd
Flag Tue Feb 25, 2014
When it comes to selecting a 203(k) contractor usually it's the borrower who is doing the researching. Sometimes they'll look to lenders for recommendations, but anytime I do a 203(k) loan the homeowner/homebuyer already has their contractors selected. I've selected all of my contractors by either referrals from friends/family or reading reviews (Yelp, Angie's List, etc.). Lenders do not have "approved contractor lists" since any contractor has the potential to be acceptable if they have the right paperwork (license, resume, insurance), but if they did then that would be a good way for you to get your name in front of people. Since real estate agents are the ones who will often help a homebuyer figure out what needs fixing or not, you may want to consider joining the local Board of Realtors so you can make some connections that way. Hopefully others will chime in and give you some tips.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 25, 2014
Thank you for the Board of Realtor lead.
Flag Tue Feb 25, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer