Financing in Swampscott>Question Details

Casey Mohan, Real Estate Pro in Newburyport, MA

Qualifying for an FHA loan, while holding a convential loan on a rental unit.

Asked by Casey Mohan, Newburyport, MA Wed Mar 30, 2011

I have a convential loan on my condo (which I have used as primary residence since purchasing 6 years ago) and will be renting that out. My question is can I a.) qualify for an FHA loan on a new primary residence and if so can I b.) use the income from that rental in my gross income numbers when qualifying for the new FHA loan?

Answers

7
Diane-

Yes, net rental income on vacation property does qualify.

The net rental income on the tax returns would be AFTER costs. What people often miss is that you can add back in depreciation and depletion.
Follow up question: does 3 yrs vacation rental income qualify? Does net income have to exceed costs on tax return to qualify as income?
FHA allows you to use rental income from your departure property ie current home when buying a new home if you can demonstrate 25% equity (appraisal necessary) and have a copy of a lease. We want a copy of the first months cancelled rent check but I think that is an overlay from us and not necessarily an FHA guideline.

Conventional loans require 30% equity.

Hope this helps.
Hi, Casey. Short answer to both questions: Yes. No. Yes you can get an FHA mortgage for your new primary. And, no, you can't utilize the future income from renting your current home w/o first already having a 2 year history of collecting it on your tax returns. Unless you already have 2 years of disclosed rental income from other properties. If so, for FHA, you would then only need a lease agreement .
Yes but your window of opportunity is shrinking quickly. I can show you how, but you only have until 4/15/2011 unless you can qualify for both payments.
Web Reference: http://www.AFN-
Web Reference: http://www.AFN-loans.com
Not my field, but to the best of my knowledge,lenders use actual, not hypothetical rent income in determining your income. You wouldn't be able to use rent from other properties as potential income. Excuse me, if that's not what you meant.