Financing in Dayton>Question Details

Devonfenton1, Renter in Fairborn, OH

My boyfriend and I want to buy a home, but can we if he is paying off an attorneys office for being sued 13 years ago?

Asked by Devonfenton1, Fairborn, OH Sat Feb 9, 2013

He was in a car accident when he was 20 years old. He owes them $32,000. He is on a monthly payment plan and has been for 9 years. Can he be on the loan with me? I just don't want the attorneys office to put a lean on our home! thanks!

0 votes Share Flag Financing in Dayton

Help the community by answering this question:


If he has been in compliance with the agreement for 9 years what makes you think they would file a lien? Also is this agreement a judgment on his credit? If not you shouldn't have any problems adding him as a joint applicant. If the agreement is not a judgment and is not on his credit report I would leave it off your 1003, (your loan application).

Best of Luck;

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit Repair Specialist at
Everlasting Credit Repair
Ex-Mortgage Broker of more than 10 years
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 29, 2013
hi Christina, i did the credit report and it didnt show up on there!! It is a huge relief! now i have a another question?!? is it possible to do all the paper work and buy a home in 30 days? haha we are pushing it due to the fact i just gave our landlord our 30 day notice today!!! let me know what you think!
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013
This instance alone will not prevent you from financing. Credit score is the biggest aspect when looking at financing options. I specialize in residential lending and would like to gain more information regarding your situation. Feel free to contact me! My email address is my office number is 937.938.9317. I look forward to speaking with you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 26, 2013
All the realtors giving you advice are absolutely correct, you need to find a realtor that is experienced at working through complicated situations and a loan officer that is willing to go the extra mile. Also, need someone to understand the situation w/attorney ie: does he owe the atty, or is that who the court deemed the funds need to be paid through to redeem a legal matter? Long list of questions but it is not an impossible situation. I live, work, have office in Fairborn- if I can help in any way, don't hesitate to email at or 478-3410
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
Devon, All the comments so far have said that you need to talk with a loan officer. I support that 100%. It is also important that the Attorney know you are purchasing a home. If you do not tell the attorney and they find out that you did that, I would suspect they would file a Lien on the home. Also, you need to find out if there is a Judgement against your Boyfriend. Your lender will need to get documents to allow their mortgage to take priority over the Judgement. Judgements are liens. If you need more information or want to talk, look on my profile page for my contact information.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
You and your boyfriend need to meet with a loan officer at 2 local banks. Bring pay stubs, tax returns, etc. It is possible that if your boyfriend has been paying the attorneys on time, that may end up being a possitive credit rather than negative credit. But, who knows? You just need to meet with loan officers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
Remember, talk to a mortgage person first. A real estate agent can't help much at this point.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
Your credit is so very important. Sounds like your boyfriend is being diligent in making his monthly payments per the plan. The first step in buying your dream home is getting with a professional mortgage officer that can help you understand your credit and help you decide the next step toward your dream home. Please call me at your convenience at (937) 776-2509. Tammy Dulaney, Irongate, inc. Realtors.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
The best answer is to contact a trusted mortgage agent. If you have a good relationship with your banker, ask them. Talk to friends or family. Get a referral from someone.

Good luck !!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
You need to contact a mortgage loan officer and discuss your situation. I can put you in contact with someone. If you would call me at 937-901-8253

Gary Kremer
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer