Financing in Jamaica Plain>Question Details

simulatednir…, Home Buyer in 02130

Looking for financing for an investment property.

Asked by simulatednirvana, 02130 Fri Jan 11, 2013

I own a unit in a 3-unit condo in Boston (and I am living there as well). I am interested in purchasing a second unit within my condo, by my mortgage broker says I cant qualify for an FHA loan and need to think about a commercial loan. The maximum down payment I can afford is 15%...perhaps 20% if I push it. What are the other avenues for me to get a loan at reasonable interest rates

Answers

5
Moy Lopez’s answer
You will need a lender that will keep the loan in their portfolio so that they will not have to worry about selling it in the secondary market. You will need at least 20% down as you will not be able to get mortgage insurance on the investment property. You will own 66% of the total units in the complex which is anther reason whu most lenders will not be able to help you.
On an investment property condominium unit you need to put down 25%.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 11, 2013
You also need to be aware that many investors will have an issue with 1 unit owner owning multiple units. For condos with 10 units or less, no single owner can own more than 1 unit within the building and obtain conventional financing. Exceptions can be requested if the unit being purchased will be occupied as a primary residence.
Unfortunately you are getting correct advice. It may be very difficult to find financing with 15% down for an investment property in a building where you will take up majority ownership. Some of my investor clients have had good luck with TD Bank.

Territory.com
Massachusetts Premier Buyer Brokerage
617 848 5407 x 701
Web Reference: http://territory.com/
Try for a portfolio loan with you r current mortgage company if they offer it. You are in an investor market and a commercial loan is applicable and minimum down payment is usually 25%.