home buyer, Home Buyer in Middlesex County, MA

Looking for a lender to provide a 15 year fixed rate mortgage - I've a thin US credit history but solid fundamentals otherwise.

Asked by home buyer, Middlesex County, MA Sat Jul 9, 2011

I have lived in the USA for one year on L1 transfer visa and intend to remain permanently, my international employer for whom I've worked for a decade is sponsoring my green card. My income is over 100K annually and I have nearly 50% downpayment.

I have a thin US credit history from being here just one year so far (I have good Canadian credit scores). I have an active car loan (nearly finished) and several credit cards including a US Amex card.

Help the community by answering this question:


I had a superb experience as a first-time home buyer, getting my mortgage through People's Federal Savings Bank. They had an excellent interest rate, and great service. The branch in Brighton had even a delightful receptionist, who would cheerfully offer lollipops along with prompt, professional service.

My initial plan had been to use a popular out-of-state lender advertising a low interest rate. When I switched to People's, I was delighted by both the lack of hidden charges and the competitive interest rate --- with no prepayment penalty.

They have locations in Brighton and Newton, as well as some other surrounding communities. Knowing how diverse the communities are in Brighton, they likely have reasonable experience with immigrants -- especially from Ireland.

Thanks, in part, to their great rates and lack of hidden fees, I was able to pay off the mortgage quickly years ago. So, I can't say that my experience reflects their current practices and performance. All I can say is that they earned my trust, and I sure do miss those friendly service reps and those lollipops (a nice perk when bringing in additional prepayments)!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 13, 2011
Hi, the best way to see if you qualify is to fill out an application on line and we can have an underwriter actually undewrwrite your loan. An L1 Visa is acceptable. We can also add tradelines to your credit report such as utility bills and car insurance bills, etc so as long as we get 12 months of activity. I would be glad to talk further with you about this and glad to help you with your purchase loan. Please feel free to get in touch with me at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage at 978 524 2553. Thanks Debbi
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 11, 2011
I am a mortgage banker based in Mass and grew up in Middlesex County. I have various different lenders available that should be able to provide you the mortgage. Please feel free to contact me at 781-277-1792 or email at bouchermortgages@gmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 10, 2011
I work with an incredible mortgage broker frequently - he is quick to respond and very diligent. Here is his information. He will give a clear picture of your options.

Wes Oliver
Prestige Home Mortgage
Ph: 508-332-4171
Fax: 508-635-6916
Cell: 774-402-0773

Good luck! Please let me know if you need anything else

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 10, 2011
Depending on where your looking I might suggest one of the local lenders that will know your employer and the market they are lending in. Brookline Bank, Needham Bank, Newton Bank, Belmont Savings, Middlesex Bank. They are all very good community based lenders.

I'd be happy to work with you to find your home.


Louis Wolfson

Representing Greater Bostons finest builders and communities.= Brookline, Dover, Needham, Newton, Wellesley and Weston.
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 10, 2011
L series Visas is are commonly accepted when applying for mortgage financing - conventional or FHA. The term of the mortgage isn't restricted in any way either, as long as you can qualify for the payment.

We lend to individuals with L series Visa's (as well as others). If it'll expire within 1 year, and a prior history of residency status renewals exist, then we should be OK with it, if it's over 1 year left then that is fine too. If you are sponsored by a specific employed we wouldn't need an EAD, just a passport & a letter from your employer/sponsor.

We'd also require your employment, income and credit to qualify as well - often 2 years is required but there are several situations where exceptions can be made (such as recently graduating, or if an employment history from your country of origin can be verified, etc.) and your Canadian credit history can help meet the credit requirement as well.

I've done financing in Middlesex County several times, if you need help, have questions, or want more information please let me know and I'd be happy to assist.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 10, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer