Financing in 60618>Question Details

DFiz1, Home Buyer in 60614

Jumbo loan ($600k) with 5% down in Chicago North-Center foreclosed property?

Asked by DFiz1, 60614 Wed Jan 9, 2013

We are looking to purchase a foreclosed multi-unit (2 flat) in an excellent neighborhood (great school district). The neighborhood has been mostly shielded from the housing crash - next door homes are $750k - $850k and have sold the same-day as listing. This particular property has a new home being built next door appraised at $1.4MM. The property is in good condition, and is in move-in ready condition. We plan to live in the first floor unit initially, then convert the home to a single-family. This will be our primary residence. We are not first-time buyers (just sold our condo). We have good credit (median for wife & myself around 720), few debts (1 credit card , 1 car loan, 1 student loan - all in good standing), and a combined income of $200k annually. We are having a really hard time finding a lender for a $600k loan with 5% down. Any advice on lenders to talk to or options would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

0 votes Share Flag Financing in 60618

Answers

13
Seth Captain’s answer
I do a lot of work with multi-units in Chicago, especially in the Bell and Coonley School Districts, and if some body has a 5% conventional loan, I can get you buyers, all of them stuck with either an FHA loan with murderous mortgage insurance or a whopping 20% down. There is occasionally a lender with a 10% program but they seem to come and go with their own set of very tight restrictions.

You may want to consider keeping the rental and duplexing down to your basement so you can pay for financing your rehab with the additional money from the rental.

Alternatively, you may want to give some of the other nearby schools with misleading test scores a chance. Both your kids and your budget might thank you later.
The 2013 conforming mortgage loan limit, as established by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, does come with exceptions. Specifically, for areas designated as "high-cost".

A high-cost area is exactly what it sounds like -- a city, town or county in which homes are more "expensive" as compared to national and regional averages.

For example, Loudoun County, Virginia along with the rest of Washington, D.C. Metro area (e.g.; Potomac, MD; Bethesda, MD; Alexandria, VA) are considered high-cost, as is nearly all of California, and areas including Eagle County, Colorado in which conforming loan limits extend to $625,500.

Not all high-cost areas allow up to $625,500, though so I would need to check on the county your in.
I could work with a 10% down payment. I dont believe that there is a secondary market product for what you are proposing. Let me know if I might be of help. 773-327-3580
I am able to do something with 10% down. Unfortunately I don't know of any lender who'll do 5%, Especially on a 2-unit property. If you'd like to discuss further, please call or send an email. I'd
be happy to talk more about this scenario.

Thanks for your time...

JP

JP Marzano
Senior Loan Officer - NMLS # 574681
Chicago Financial Services
312-204-6556 - direct
312-608-1555 - mobile
jpmarzano@cfsmortgage.com
http://www.themortgagecall.com
Wieslaw (Wesley) Jura Vice President. NMLS ID 225274. Direct: 773-304-3412. Fax: 773-283-2788. Cell: 312-405-2404. wjura@unitedequity.us
Thank you everyone for your replies and very useful information.
Again, feel free to call or write me directly if you'd like to review a couple of creative solutions that may be possible. However, If I don't get a chance to speak with you in greater detail, best of luck to you and Mrs. on the home search and here's to making 2013 your BEST YEAR yet: Have Fun, Make Money and Make a Difference!
____________________________________________________
Tammy K. Hajjar, Senior Mortgage Consultant, NMLS # 981615
Wintrust Mortgage
40 W. Hubbard St., 2nd Flr., Chicago, IL 60654
P: 773-609-4374 | F: 855-686-5377 | thajjar@wintrustmortgage.com | http://www.tammyhajjar.com
Hello
I am sorry to say but you will not be able to find financing at these terms. (unless you are a physician - in which case there are specific loans available for Dr's that will allow for this type of financing) The major sticking point is not just that this is a Jumbo with 5% down , but that this is also a 2 unit. The maximum conforming limit for a 2 unit in Chicago is $533,850 - so if you can ge the loan down to this amount you will have better options ( or at least some)
You could also look at FHA financing but the loan limits for a 2 unit with FHA are $524,850
I would be happy to talk through your options with you and answer any questions that you may have.
Sam Sharp
Senior VP of Mortgage Lending
Guaranteed Rate
773-290-0455
Have a couple of creative solutions if you'd like to chat in greater detail. Call or write at your convenience:
Wintrust Mortgage
I would try calling Tony Lupescu with Fifth Third. His number is 708-351-6416.
One more contact for you. Konrad Kosciuk kkociuk@englending.com 312.662.3720. Will help and let you know right away.
Well, the 2 flat market is quite different than the SFH market. The comps may support it but lenders are a little tighter on 2-4 units than SFHs. You should contact Ryan Mecum at Wintrust Mortgage rmecum@wintrustmortgage.com. He will shoot you straight and let you know what can be done. Also, if this doesn't work out contact me and I can help you find a great property that you can fix up with less than 5% down.
Web Reference: http://Www.markmalave.com
Contact Sam Sharp with Guaranteed Rate. If it can be done, he can do it.

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com