Question Details

Michaelaclaud, Home Buyer in Santa Barbara, CA

Is it possible to use a co-signer on a conventional mortgage?

Asked by Michaelaclaud, Santa Barbara, CA Mon Mar 29, 2010

I'm working on buying a house in Colorado but am self-employed so having trouble with qualifying for what we can afford. Wondering if it's possible to use a co-signer on a conventional mortgage?

Help the community by answering this question:


I am trying to re finance under a conventional loan, my credit union says i can not have a co signer yet i read that i can so i am confused thks mary
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 24, 2013
FHA has a program called "Kiddie Condo" for this situation. It is restricted to family members but it is a perfect way to have someone cosign who doesn’t live in the house with you (non occupying co-borrower)

FHA has put some restrictions on this program so check with a LOCAL lender to get the info!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 30, 2010
Absoluitely. Give Linda Grassi a call at 925-824-4848....she can help you if you are not already working with a lender.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 29, 2010
Cindi Hagley, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA
Michael - I'm no mortgage rep, but I am sure you will have a few of them stopping by to answer your question.

To the best of my knowledge, yes, you can have a co signer on a conventional mortgage. That person must be qualified, have excellent credit and sufficient income to back you, and and help substantiate the loan. If they already have a current mortgage, that might impede their ability to help.

Good luck!

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 29, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer