Financing in Honolulu County>Question Details

Jim S, Both Buyer and Seller in San Jose, CA

Investment property financing

Asked by Jim S, San Jose, CA Thu Oct 10, 2013

I use to buy and sell on Oahu but it's been a while. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the latest requirements are to get a loan to buy an investment property on the island. I remember the good ol days of 10%. Is it 20% now? I think went up to 30% for a while. Is it back down to 20%?

Thanks!

Answers

4
Since this is an investment property, it will most likely be around 20% down or more. The best thing for you to do is to speak with a lender directly. I would be glad to speak with you to help you get the loan that you need for your next investment property. Well I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or if you would like a loan, feel free to contact me. Good Luck! Brian Nguyen Sr. Mortgage Banker NMLS # 659743 Phone: 949.667.2887 brian.nguyen@nafinc.com
Hi Jim,

20% or more is the norm now. You can't do conforming loans at less than 20% because the PMI companies won't insure the difference any more.

There are some portfolio lenders out there who still do 10%, but the requirements are pretty tight and the rates are outrageous. I think most of those programs will be going away in January when the government enacts the new Qualified Mortgage rules, but not sure.

If I can be of any assistance please feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email and we can go over some figures.

Tony

Tony Grech | Mortgage Loan Originator | NMLS #977416
PMAC Lending Services, Inc.
Toll-free (855) 642-4762 ext. 278
Mobile (313) 622-7383

tony.grech@pmac.com
Hi Jim,

Contact your favorite local lender. It varies by investor, lender and building. Owner occupancy of the project/building is a big factor. I can send you a few lender's names if you like.

Frank@hawaiihome.biz
You will need 20% down to purchase an investment property. The exception is if you can find a HomePath property that is eligible for 10% down financing. There are a few in Hawaii, but not many.